DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Anyone build a 615 or 598 using the DART 20 Degree heads
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone build a 615 or 598 using the DART 20 Degree heads
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I know there are tons out there utilizing the brodix SR20's but has anyone utilized the DART 20 degree heads for a 598 or 615 build for a bracket car? Looks like Steve Schmidt is the only engine builder i can find using them, his HP and TQ numbers are the exact same as the Brodix SR20 motors out there, just would like to hear real world experience with the Dart 20's. Would be nice to know if its ALKY or GAS, injected or carburetor, and what's it running in your combination.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Steve Schmidt has been for atleast a year, and all of them to my knowledge has been on gas. They seem to run really close to the brodix version.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 703 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
I know there are tons out there utilizing the brodix SR20's but has anyone utilized the DART 20 degree heads for a 598 or 615 build for a bracket car? Looks like Steve Schmidt is the only engine builder i can find using them, his HP and TQ numbers are the exact same as the Brodix SR20 motors out there, just would like to hear real world experience with the Dart 20's. Would be nice to know if its ALKY or GAS, injected or carburetor, and what's it running in your combination.

I have built a 632 using these. Also I would go with Sunset for a motor like this over Schmidt (not even close here).

Which ones are you considering, the as cast or full cnc'ed?

I will say that apples to apples they are close but give the edge to the Darts. I have a 632 in an RED with Darts, a friend has the same but with Brodix SR20's. His car is about 50 pounds lighter, we ET very close but I have 1 to 2 MPH on him.

Mine is on gas/carb, would not recommend alky for this combo without more mod's.

BTW at 1840 pounds I have gone 6.76 at 197.5 plus with my combo.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sunset 10 times better than Steve Schmdt

Posts: 11 | Location: bakersfield ca | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rprpeds@sbcglobal.net:
Sunset 10 times better than Steve Schmdt

I think you left out a zero or two....

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just went through this my self. In the end if you are building a new motor and don't have any class restrictions your best HP for the buck is a 632 with Big Chiefs. If you really look at the money it is almost the same as a 615 with a 20 degree head. This is just what I researched.

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
But 30lbs heavier...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
But 30lbs heavier...

But 50-100hp more.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4448 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
But easier to find parts at track...an just bout as fast

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
To each his own...running a 9 degree now never again i will stick with the SR20...

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
But 30lbs heavier...

But 50-100hp more.....

50 is reasonable, 100, your dreaming!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
X2

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
quote:
But 30lbs heavier...

But 50-100hp more.....

632 w/ Big Chiefs vs 598 w/ Dart 20*.....
34 more cubic inches @ 2hp per ci = 68hp by itself. So your saying another32hp between the 2 heads isn't possible?
Yeah, somebody's dreaming....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4448 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
quote:
But 30lbs heavier...

But 50-100hp more.....

632 w/ Big Chiefs vs 598 w/ Dart 20*.....
34 more cubic inches @ 2hp per ci = 68hp by itself. So your saying another32hp between the 2 heads isn't possible?
Yeah, somebody's dreaming....

For the record! My dream was 632 to 632! So 2 x 0 = 0 by your dream!
Big Grin

And for the record I have built both of those combos, one with Pro 20's and one with 12 degree Profilers! My dreams have also come true!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Now don't get testy Al...….easy on everyone's dreams....lol

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Tony Barrett:
"your best HP for the buck is a 632 with Big Chiefs."
"If you really look at the money it is almost the same as a 615 with a 20 degree head. This is just what I researched."

"But 30lbs heavier"

"But 50-100hp more....."

615 vs 632 = 17 cu in plus the head difference should be around 50-100hp
I didn't have to dream anything up. I just offered an opinion relative to a couple posts...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakehp,

Dave

F J B

DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Barrett:
"your best HP for the buck is a 632 with Big Chiefs."
"If you really look at the money it is almost the same as a 615 with a 20 degree head. This is just what I researched."

"But 30lbs heavier"

"But 50-100hp more....."

615 vs 632 = 43 cu in plus the head difference should be around 50-100hp
I didn't have to dream anything up. I just offered an opinion relative to a couple posts...

My southern edumacation ain't worth nothin. My math can't come up with 43cu in for anything. Even tried common core.

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You just have to read it backwards lol
Fixed it

EDIT: Last night I apparently compared the 598 in the op's original post vs a 632 to get the 34ci I referenced...duh

So 17ci = 34hp not 68hp...

So 17ci plus the Big Chief heads could be 30-70hp better.....maybe...lol

My point was the extra power would easily offset the extra 30lbs..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakehp,

Dave

F J B

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
To each his own...running a 9 degree now never again i will stick with the SR20...

You're not happy with the 9* heads? Just curious why.

Posts: 82 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A really good 632 SR20 makes 1200 to 1230 on my Dyno. A good 12 or 9 degree makes 1270 to 1330. I have done both. A good spreadport motor will always out perform SR20 motor. Price is about 3k to 4K more depending on the head with a spreadport.

Posts: 114 | Location: pa | Registered: September 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post