DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Bent Dexter Axle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bent Dexter Axle
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted
I have a triple axle and the center is eating tires on the outside. Quick string check shows axle is toed in on both sides.
-That seems really strange. One would think hitting something would cause negative camber or toe out causing the inside of the tires to wear. Also, seems to reason the front axle would be the first to have a problem.
-There are some resources that show axle straightening techniques. I didn't find one specific to torsion axles though.
-Seems some alignment shops might be able to straighten it, but it might not be worth it for several reasons.

Most likely a new axle is in order.

Anyone have experience with this?

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
With replacement axle being around $600, I just order a new one.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Pivotdoc and I hit a giant pothole coming back from the Mile High Nationals. Bent the front axle, 1500 bucks to replace it. 7500 pound axles on my 48 foot Classic.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I replaced a Dexter 7k axle on my trailer a few years ago after tweaking a spindle. About $700 and was surprisingly easy to do.

I was impressed with Dexter; with the number off my axle they knew who built my trailer and when, and exactly what I needed to order as a replacement.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Torsion rubber does not go all the way across.
Chain it to the the front of the trailer with a turnbuckle style load binder and heat the middle. Pull it straight.It already has a kick up in the middle
Run it. Got nothing to lose.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Except has to go the other way it’s already toed in he said but yes I agree I would try to straighten it first

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Never mind realized you’re probably pulling in middle of axle also

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Well if it’s eating tires very fast I would just replace the axle opposed to trying to straighten it. You try straightening it and it could eat another set of tires then you end up replacing axle and tires again. Now if you took it to somebody who has experience and tools to check when done to be sure it’s back to where it needs to be then that’s most likely gonna cost what an axle and you doing it yourself would cost.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Always good to hear ideas and experience!

I was thinking about doing what Bad News described as a first shot and if that doesn't work I'll just order a new one.

Thanks Lenny5160 for your sharing your experience with Dexter. Good to know they can help making ordering a replacement easy.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Can you tell by comparing it to the other axles that the tube is bent? Just asking as to be sure it’s bent in the tube and not on the ends.
A thing to think about if straightening yourself is use a sling around the middle axle and loop it so it straddles the front axle to avoid any chance of messing up the front axle. Also you will need to go a little past where it should be to be perfect as it will spring back some. A good way to do that would be to measure how far you pulled it off of the front axle then if you need more you have a reference point that you need to go further past.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted May 04, 2020 03:58 PM
I have a triple axle and the center is eating tires on the outside. Quick string check shows axle is toed in on both sides.

Toed in on both sides, pull it in the middle with straight edges on both sides. Pull it just a little more so when it cools it springs back to about zero. Leave the tension until it cools off. It should work just fine. I have done this with the old tube style axles and leaf springs, ran that trailer for 10 more years. Nothing to lose but 3 hours.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
in the long run you are likely better to replace.if i was going to try a repair i would use a jack and chain only on the bent axle.run chain from end to end over the jack.you will have to over travel.a sting on urside of tires will tell location

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had a lippert torsion axle on my trailer that was wearing the right front tire and when I removed it thinking that it was junk, I noticed that the portion of the spindle that goes in the axle surrounded by the rubber had moved out slightly causing the "bent" appearance. Figuring I had nothing to lose I took it to one of my industrial connections who had a long press and they were able to place the entire axle in it and press both ends and the spindle popped back into place. I figured I had hit a pothole with it and knocked it out. That was three years ago and probably 6000 miles ago with no issues. Kevin

Posts: 194 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Years ago not long after I bought a Pace 2 axle trailer I had a tire wearing, don't remember if it was the inside or outside. Pace said they didn't guarantee alignment.
I took one mounting bolt out and loosened the other one, drove a wedge in to force the tire in the right direction, tightened the bolts and it was aligned. Was fine as long as I owned the trailer.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11001 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
I will start by saying that I have never straightened an axle. However, I have straightened hundreds of shafts and round cylindrical parts. When using heat (torch) , you heat the high side of the bend. It will move towards the heat originally but when it cools, it will relax and move back ****her ( straighter) than it was. I cant explain it, I can only say its been working for 30 yrs.

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I gave it a shot. Heat and pressure worked perfectly. I put some pressure on it with a come along and heated it one side, top, and bottom red hot. I added pressure until it was straight then let it cool before removing the pressure. The toe is now within 1/16 of an inch. It was about 1/4” in before.
I’d highly recommend this method. We’ll see on the tire wear.

I feel like I accomplished something today!

Thanks!

Matt Ward

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
And there you have it.

DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Koski:
Years ago not long after I bought a Pace 2 axle trailer I had a tire wearing, don't remember if it was the inside or outside. Pace said they didn't guarantee alignment.
I took one mounting bolt out and loosened the other one, drove a wedge in to force the tire in the right direction, tightened the bolts and it was aligned. Was fine as long as I owned the trailer.

Just got the trailer from storage and noticed the front tire of 3 on the right was wearing bad on the outside. Pulled the wheel off and the toe in was about 5/8" with a 24" straight edge, 30" tire.
Backed the front nut way off on the mounting bracket and loosened the back one.
Drove a chisel between the two brackets and got to 3/8" and the back began to separate. Like before when I tighten the back bolt I thing I'll be golden.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11001 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post