DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    My experience with new, front drag shocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My experience with new, front drag shocks
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Before my last race weekend, I installed a new pair of Calvert 90/10 drag shocks on the front of my S10. I'd never run drag shocks before, "thinking" I didn't need them.

The shocks that I had been running for several seasons were some Nitro units made I think for a lowered front end, though my rig hasn't been lowered. The previous owner put them on, and they seemed to be really stiff.
No wonder my truck's suspension never moved at all upon launching.

The front end now is really springy, but I didn't do anything yet to loosen the control arms.

Before I installed them, I held them vertically and worked them up and down several times, but they still seemed to feel the same going up and down. Calvert Racing said to not be alarmed; the trapped air would work its way out.

It's fun to feel a little front-end rise now upon launch, and it seems that my 60' times have tightened up a lot, even with a pair of half-baked drag radials I used.
I'm anxious to see what it will be like next weekend when I've got my new bia-ply slicks on there.

Going down the track the first couple of passes kindof scared me, as the ride felt a little mushy and unstable.

A couple of my buddies swear that they're seeing a little air under my front-runners now, but I don't know; I'm not throwing that much HP at it.

I am planning to finally relocate my battery to the rear of the box soon. I'm wondering now if I should do something to limit the suspension travel up front.

The rear shocks are similar to the front ones and perhaps part of a set. I'd wager that they're just as stiff, perhaps to keep a slammed truck from bottoming out on bumps or something.

I want to install a pair of adjustable shocks in the rear too, probably something double-adjustable. Maybe QA1's?

Stay well, guys
T.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:

I am planning to finally relocate my battery to the rear of the box soon. I'm wondering now if I should do something to limit the suspension travel up front.

I want to install a pair of adjustable shocks in the rear too, probably something double-adjustable. Maybe QA1's?

Stay well, guys
T.

IMO, I would not limit your front suspension. I would like to hear how much travel you have up front?

Double adjustable shocks are good on all 4 corners. This is my experience & I used to run QA1 double adjustable on all 4 corners. I forgot what pair I changed out first, front or back. Anyway, I put a set of AFCO double adjustable's on. I was so impressed, I bought another set for the other end of the car. That's my 2 cents worth.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/I8QWEaqeFRw

We need some video of your truck OP. ^^^ Save this video, this is as good as it gets. 60ft clinic. 1.28 n/a 23 sbc 10 x 28 M/T bias

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Bounce the frt. and then let it settle, with 90/10's it will take some time so leave it overnight. Pick a spot like the wheelwell and or a spot on the frame and measure both sides. Then jack the truck at the frt. crossmember and allow the wkeels to drop and just before the tires leave the floor stop and remeasure at the same spots. Subtract the first measurement from the secon and you'll know your travel/
You can loosen the control arm shaft nuts and loosen the frt. stiction. If you want you can double nut them if you worry about a nut falling off, they are locknuts.
On a budget the 3 way adjustable Competition Engineering shocks work.
What traction control/aid are you using on the rear?

Posts: 1456 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thank you, guys for all your thoughtful answers; I'll get back to you soon with a measurement of my front suspension travel.

AFCO shocks? I'll consider those as well.

Cheers,
Troy

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a good set of stock HD gas shocks work great on the rear.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We have a low HP 02 S-10 that we put the Calverts on last year and noticed that you could feel it slightly porposing at the top end of the track(1/4 mile).
This is a 11:80 truck at 113 with a 4 link.
We scaled it and with no weight in the back, just the fuel cell and battery it was 57% on the front and 43% on the back. Left to right with the driver it was good.

Posts: 40 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post