Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Gray trans fluid
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gray trans fluid
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Bought a glide from a guy who ran s/s with a 1.94 gear set. Had FTI build a converter for it. The pump has the cooler check valve removed so the cooler is not used. The fluid turned gray. FTI checked the converter and the trans was also checked. Put it back In and it turned gray again. It feels and smells ok. Looks like gray auto paint. Anyone know why? The fluid when I bought it looked good.

Posts: 2 | Location: Pa. | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Aluminum debri will make it look like a strawberry milkshake sorta.

'12 Track & Top Class Champion

Posts: 2056 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Check the servo sealing rings. I've seen them wear excessively and create a grey muck in the bore.

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Converter or has had a converter go bad in it.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 113 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Only seen this in a Turbo 400 but the rear thrust washer had gone bye-bye and the trans drive train moved back and chewed up the rear of the case. Looked like dark aluminum paint. I would look for signs of aluminum wearing down inside the case.

www.rutherfordms.com - tips and tricks, project builds and how-to's

Posts: 985 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a PG in the shop now, gray fluid. Converter is trashed. The gray is tiny bits of aluminum from the stator vanes.

Posts: 428 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the input. I have changed the fluid and installed a known good converter. The converter was the only new thing added to the equation.

Posts: 2 | Location: Pa. | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post