DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ti valve failure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ti valve failure
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted
valve

good find! this would've been disaster....
Not sure what caused this.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Hardened tip failure very common lately, as in the last 4-5 years. Lash caps are much more reliable.

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
I never ever had Titanium valves made with a harden tip. Lash caps all the way.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I’ve never run TI valves but a Facebook friend just had that happen this past weekend also. Fresh engine with new valves.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I will never own another Titanium valve with a foreign piece of metal jammed in it again. If that's the least of your problem consider yourself Lucky!

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:

Import metal. Probably import valve.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
quote:

How do you know that?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
quote:

BRODIX valve made by Trick Titanium in Gretchen's kitchen.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Trick Titanium valves are known to be a little soft. I still have them in the exhaust on my 9's. I had some broken inner valve springs damage the intakes a few years ago.

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
The valves in my old heads were Victory, had a bead lock groove and not the square one like in that pic, and hardened tips....never had an issue with them....new stuff is lash caps though....victory valves again, but no hardened tips.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
On this question of ti valves.
How many 1/4 mile passes are ti valve safe to run?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:

How many licks are in a Tootsie Roll Pop?

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Mine had four seasons on them and they were still good until a broken connecting rod decided to stop the cam, allowing the pistons to alter their shape somewhat.....but the seats and faces still look good!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
My Manley intakes have 3.5 seasons on them and the margin is gone as in worn out. My Trick exhaust have 4.5 and are in the same shape. The replacements are CRN coated.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:

Have ues them in my junk for years. The margins are generally the issue. My Cuda they had over 1000 passes when I sold the car and they are still in it now. No hardened tips for mine prefer lash cap. We do have hardened tip victory stuff in the Vette.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:

How do you know that?

Obviously, I can't "know" that without the valve. But the metallurgy is definitely not aerospace quality. Why run titanium if you're not going spend the extra money to help insure some type of longevity. Cheap is only beneficial at the assembly. After that it is very costly.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post