Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Crankshaft
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of TuffRat
posted
I thinking about building a 496 gas pump motor.
What do you about using a cast crankshaft (Scat or Eagle )? It would be used in 3,000 lb. car,
foot brake or trans brake.

Tuff rat

Posts: 4 | Location: akron ohio | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
How much cheaper is it than a forged crank?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 4549 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Not a place to save a few dollars.

272" Spitzer
Bednar Racing Engines 540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Big Shaft Powerglide
3.73@196

www.ftiperformance.com

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

Posts: 1870 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'd look for a forged crank if your over 600hp.

Posts: 630 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use anything from eagle or scat no mind run a cast crank in a racing engine.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 8562 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
wouldn't use anything from eagle or scat no mind run a cast crank in a racing engin

Figures.

L8R, Mike

Posts: 13308 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The problem isn't so much the cost of the less expensive cast crank, it's the cost of everything else it kills on it's way out of the block. Cast cranks flex less so they hold registration slightly better, they are great on a low rpm street type car, not so good in a high rpm, high compression race engine.

Here is a simple test you can conduct to see if a cast crank is in your future. Add up the cost of the:

(A)

The new Block
A set of connecting rods
Both heads, or at least one plus the bent/broken valves.
The Camshaft
Rod, main and cam bearings
The oil pan
A few roller or flat tappet Lifters
Another timing set because the old one will no doubt be too scary to reuse.
The full gasket set
All the machine work, balancing, etc. involved
The assembly time expense
Your phone bill for re-ordering all the parts
Your gas money chasing around to fix the broken engine

And in the worst case, replacing the car that was wrecked when the crankshaft met the ground.

(B)

Divided by the fewer runs you will be getting with the cast crank = The real "cost" of a cast crank.

Just remember this is going into a 496, I highly doubt that you will only spin it below 5000 rpm. So the question is, CAN it survive? It might but the better answer would be how much longer will the steel crank survive and what was the difference in initial expense?

Not trying to be a "smart azz" just adding up the bottom line. Good luck with whatever you do.

Bob

Posts: 2119 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
The problem isn't so much the cost of the less expensive cast crank, it's the cost of everything else it kills on it's way out of the block.

quoted for the truth!

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 8562 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
100% agree with everyone else

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 551 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
http://www.molnartechnologies.com/

Great people to work with...

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 714 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of ytoddmalibu
posted Hide Post
If you have to go cheap Callies compstar line is decent quality and around 900 for a 4.25 bbc crank. Howard's has some decent quality also. I wouldn't run a cast crank in anything now days with the minimal difference in cost to value

Todd

3/28/2014 RIP Juli Pasch the love of my life for ever

Posts: 74 | Location: MidMichMotorplex | Registered: December 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with Eagle cranks...I have been running Eagle for the last 9 years with no issues at all....latest is in a 496 in my 79 Monte which weighs 2980 lbs...yes, they are forged...

Posts: 943 | Location: deltona, florida | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
Nothing wrong with Eagle cranks...I have been running Eagle for the last 9 years with no issues at all....latest is in a 496 in my 79 Monte which weighs 2980 lbs...yes, they are forged...

The sizing on Eagles can be iffy.

Like was mentioned above Callies Compstar is a good valve for the money.

272" Spitzer
Bednar Racing Engines 540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Big Shaft Powerglide
3.73@196

www.ftiperformance.com

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

Posts: 1870 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tom Reyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:

The sizing on Eagles can be iffy.

Like was mentioned above Callies Compstar is a good valve for the money.

Thought they fixed that problem?

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 671 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Scat makes a really nice forged steel crank for the money. The forging is chinese but all the machine work and QC is in Huntington beach Calif. like others have said, no reason ever to go cast

Posts: 501 | Location: On the the dark side now | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I wouldn't use anything from eagle or scat no mind run a cast crank in a racing engine.

Says the guy who has to borrow an engine to get through a season.....pfffff, whatever.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 332 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a cast crank, I've gotten WAAAAYYYYYYYYYY more runs from my cast crank engines than my forged crank engines, probably just coincidence. Just be mindfull of the limitations. I don't spin my stuff over 6400, so a forged crank would be a waste for me.

They all look the same after you run over the crank anyway.....

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 332 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Scat makes a really nice forged steel crank for the money. The forging is chinese but all the machine work and QC is in Huntington beach Calif. like others have said, no reason ever to go cast

I know of a builder using these also in moderate BBC's without issues. If it were me, I would run one of these before a cast crank.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Underdog99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing wrong with a cast crank, I've gotten WAAAAYYYYYYYYYY more runs from my cast crank engines than my forged crank engines, probably just coincidence. Just be mindfull of the limitations. I don't spin my stuff over 6400, so a forged crank would be a waste for me.

I suggest calling Scat. 301 370 5501
Tell them what you want to do. I've talked to them more than once and found them friendly, honest and knowledgeable.

Standard internet response, from the experts, will be "Chinese junk"

Posts: 162 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: October 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
I thought I might offer an opinion, maybe some suggestions, a little experience....then I realized GOD himself has spoken. There is simply nothing left to offer.

RIP

There is a new sheriff in town. BHO has been relegated to the ash heap of history. Thank you AMERICA!

If it matters to you, my real name is Mike Van Winkle!!

Posts: 780 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post