DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Footbrake and front tire rollout
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Footbrake and front tire rollout
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Is there a 'rule of thumb' on reaction time versus rollout? i know people who lower air pressure for more but i need to get a quicker R/T for my slow car and deep staging is not an option. Thanks for any help. Car in question is a 1996 Camaro going 8.0s in eighth mile.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
What size are your current front tires? How much air are you running? It's going to take some effort to get an 8.0 car to react fast enough. I raced one for over 10 years. 23" fronts are a must.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
25.6 is what an online calculator says my 245/50/16's are. I would like to stay with the factory 16x8 Camaro wheels. This may be a chore getting that short of a tire on that rim. I had tires unknowingly on 30 psi when i raced last. 3 wks ago. I raised pressure, at home in shop, to 38 psi and done some redneck measurements and this helped rollout some. Rear gear is 4.10 with a factory 3.08 first gear.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Don't know what you are running for front tires, but look at the block of fine print on sidewall that shows max load rating, etc. It will show the maximum recommended pressure. Also will show the Speed Rating, and higher ratings are by design going to be of higher quality construction, and generally able to tolerate higher air pressures. Go with that PSI and see if it helps. (Note - I am not recommending you exceed the manufacturer's pressure rating, but I have gone as high as 54 PSI on my front runners to get a decent R/T when foot-braking a slower, heavy car. Tires were new and in perfect condition, would never do that on older or weather-checked tires).

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm running stock type radial street tires on the front with stock 16x8 rims. Side wall shows 35 but i believe i could get away with 40psi.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hard to deal with street tires but along with the front try more in the rear. Might help. If you race the same place all the time and can't deep stage try seeing how many bumps it takes to put out the top bulb and then take one less bump---lot of roll out you can eliminate which results in better lights.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you race the same place all the time and can't deep stage try seeing how many bumps it takes to put out the top bulb and then take one less bump---lot of roll out you can eliminate which results in better lights.[/QUOTE] This is what i believe i may have to try. I do want to exhaust all options first. Shorter tires probably. One track planly says no deep staging and they will not wait, the other allows it but will not wait either. Another third track US43 does the no box thing so everyone is ultra competive and i like regular F/B.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Tom RedRX7
posted Hide Post
When you stage, drive all the way through the beams till the top bulb goes out, then back up till it comes back on again. This may help tighten your RT.

Posts: 676 | Location: FL | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom RedRX7:
When you stage, drive all the way through the beams till the top bulb goes out, then back up till it comes back on again. This may help tighten your RT.

A lot of tracks don't follow NHRA rules,but this is in the NHRA rulebook.

THE FINAL STAGING MOTION, USING APPLIED POWER, MUST BE
IN A FORWARD MOTION, GOING FROM PRE-STAGE TO STAGE
POSITION

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I race a lot of different tracks and don't know of 1 that will allow that. The last move staging must be in a forward motion is the rule. Not saying some hill billy track won't allow it.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Not saying some hill billy track won't allow it.

I was trying to be "politically correct".

Smile

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have raced at tracks that allowed backing into the stage. Real easy to mess with the guy who's backing in, and I think that's why most don't do it. Similar to quick staging against a turbocharged car which has happened to me quite a few times.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
R

try 45-50 lbs

Posts: 527 | Location: md. | Registered: September 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
doesnt more air pressure make a tire have more rollout ?

Posts: 62 | Location: Larwill,In | Registered: September 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
No

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I wish there was a rule of thumb on R/T vs rollout. I measured it rollout kinda with 32psi and then 38 psi and it helped about a half inch. I found some 225/50/16 that according to manufacture specs are 25in tall and same tire in 245/50/16 is 26 inch tall.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Cmar:

Most tires, it shortens the rollout because the contact patch get smaller. The leading and trailing edges of the tire raise up and makes for a shorter rollout.

I have heard in that with a really short bias ply front, more air can make the tire larger giving more rollout. I buddy of mine swears this is the case on his 23" front runners. To me, it doesn't make sense unless he is running air pressures to low to start with. Any air added should make the contact patch smaller and make the rollout shorter.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I feel like i can see this same thing happening on my dragster.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPosey:
I feel like i can see this same thing happening on my dragster.
They look like they grow alot from 25psi to 35psi.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Cmar:

Technically, if you measured the circumference with a tape, yes it would increase that dimension. But in terms of dragstrip rollout, (the distance of forward travel needed to clear the beams), it is less, as Ferndale and Tom stated. Same terminology, but different measures.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post