DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    SFI update 6.0-7.49 for dragsters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SFI update 6.0-7.49 for dragsters
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted
https://www.sfifoundation.com/...5ENotice12-15-21.pdf

I was sent an update 2.5 from an inspector dealing with an additional update for an additional tube needed behind roll cage hoop. Pre 2006 chassis.
Effective 11/04/2021 Can't post it for some odd reason Called Legacy 2.5. No A,B or C.

Here they are..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this just printed the pages and put in my book only one thing I have to check on my chassis

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
What is odd about that added vertical for 2006 and prior. I see a lot of newer chassis and they state nothing about them without the vertical needed.

I can see where as it is an additional support for
the front hoop. And that is .083 wall also with 1.50.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
When they reference internal roll bar
reinforcement is that doubled like the shoulder hoop?

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I’m sure that I shouldn’t assume but I’m assuming that this will not be required until you go for a re-cert.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Tech inspector said yesterday that this is for some really old cars. Think 1980’s. If you have a newer car that certed 6.0 it should still cert 6.0

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Tech inspector said yesterday that this is for some really old cars. Think 1980’s. If you have a newer car that certed 6.0 it should still cert 6.0

yup. I updated my mullet-era car to 6.0 last winter and added that exact bar. If you can see the rosette welds where the top frame rail goes in the shoulder hoop you don't have to worry about this.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'll worry about it when the chassis inspector tells me I won't certify without it...until then.........

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
2006 and older. This is as i understand it is an additional support (Vertical) for the front hoop
for frontal support. If you read in that link i posted, section (111.2.k). My Neils/Parks 2003 HT
Was built a 6.0 car. 2003. If this is so critical
why is it not stated a must for the new chassis also that are 6.0-7.49 with the same type cage?

Why are they picking on us older chassis guys?

My friend in Cal now has to have the cage redone
Due to the front hoop is not at a 15 degree layback. 6.0 car. He is not happy.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but I interpreted this to be 2005 and older ? My American happens to be an 2006 6.0

Posts: 10 | Location: Oklahoma  | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
You are correct. Prior to 2006. My error.

Telescoping continuations of the upper frame rails (#4) into the
shoulder hoop(s) (#3) and roll bar reinforcement tubes may be one and
the same if the minimum dimensions of each and all are met. Roll bar
reinforcement tubes and the butt weld interior sleeves may be one and
the same if the minimum dimensions of each and all are met. For
requirements of chassis built prior to 2006 without an internal roll bar
reinforcement, consult the “SFI 2.5 Legacy Tech Advisory” documen

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The support bar doesn’t look like it’s too big of a deal to add, it’s all the paint and powder coat that has to be fixed that’s the real pain. Sometimes I wonder what accident out there brought along the change, but then again it may have just been something someone thought up. Either way, hopefully it doesn’t prove to be too big of an issue for those affected.

Posts: 10 | Location: Oklahoma  | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I just read the whole link you posted. It saidy if the cage doesn't have the internal support, or the cage is at 30* or more, tenth reinforcement is required. Very likely not many cars that will need this....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
TD3550 & I have been chatting about this and he sent me a clearer picture, here it is:

CF24-B303-3-EF3-47-AC-BAA5-6-C18-DF78751-F

I've read this a couple times now. The rule says:

Telescoping continuations of the upper frame rails (#4) into the shoulder hoop(s) (#3) and roll bar reinforcement tubes may be one and the same if the minimum dimensions of each and all are met. Roll bar reinforcement tubes and the butt weld interior sleeves may be one and the same if the minimum dimensions of each and all are met. For requirements of chassis built prior to 2006 without an internal roll bar reinforcement, consult the “SFI 2.5 Legacy Tech Advisory” document available from SFI.

So they are calling the new tube a roll bar reinforcement tube. I believe the are calling the telescoping continuation of the upper frame rail into the shoulder hoop an internal roll bar reinforcement(there are two tubes where the roll bar connects with the upper frame rail). So if the upper frame rail continues into the shoulder hoop and there is a rosette weld showing that, I agree with Cashflow & I Hate Dragsters, it should be good.

I just looked at my car (Undercover) and my wife's car (Miller). The Undercover is like the photo, the upper roll bar connects forward of the green upright in the picture. (Using the wording from the picture, seat upright is behind the roll cage hoop). The Miller has the seat upright ahead of the roll cage hoop.

I think we're both ok because of the rosette weld, but still looking for clarification to be sure especially for my car where the upright is behind the hoop. Both cars are due this summer and I'll have them done at the divisional in June as usual. I don't want to get in a situation where it's the middle of the season, they don't pass, and I need to scramble to add a bar and find someone to certify when we have a points race the following week.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I know on my car the upper frame rail extends into the shoulder hoop and the rosette weld is near the bend in the hoop. If I'm reading this correctly, I do not need that bar even though my chassis is a 2001.

Mark Goulette

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Here is what newer cars look like. First picture is with the seat upright in front of the main cage hoop, second is with the seat upright behind it.

The first thing I look at is if the upper shoulder hoop is a step down or one piece, a one piece will have to have the inner reinforcement put there before welding, the step down version will have the smaller diameter tube pused up past the main hoop bar. Next I look for the roset welds.
The above picture you guys are looking at has been around for years and used to be called the Muldowny bar. It was put in place after one of her wrecks and the cage collapsed. Just a little history. I have a picture of the earlier SFI update, and it original was for pre 1996 cars..lol

Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Covey,

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I will add.
I have had racers asking for a cert and when I check there are no rosette welds. They insist the reinforcement is in there. I will attempt to explain it very well could be there but it still is not within the SFI because of no rosettes.
I have allowed them to drill a small h ole where it is supposed to be and so far only one car I have inspected actually had the reinforcement tube in it.
This was years ago and I have had no issues since.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I know on my car the upper frame rail extends into the shoulder hoop and the rosette weld is near the bend in the hoop. If I'm reading this correctly, I do not need that bar even though my chassis is a 2001.

Correct

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
The Muldowney bar was for SFI 2.3 cars.

Dave

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Read through all the posts and have come to the following conclusion(s).....

My forward hoop leans back 50* from the centerline of my top rail...Which I assume makes me over the 30* allowed angle. CORRECT?

2nd, I'm reading that putting this support in will allow a 7.50 cert chassis to bypass the tube inside a tube with a rosette weld requirement and cert to 6.0....CORRECT? Or is that wishful thinking lol ....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post