DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Woodfin's 53 Studebaker with LS engine
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodfin's 53 Studebaker with LS engine
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
My best thinking is done when mowing, driving, or trying to sleep. Going into the Studebaker project I struggled for a while to establish a direction. Now, five months into the project, my thinker has revealed a direction.

I envision driving a country road, wide open, running through the gears, smiling. Or parked a Whataburger or car show or cruise night and exaggerating about the engine size and performance to any audience. Or at the track in footbrake brackets. So, a multi-purpose, fast, mechanically well-done jalopy.

I do not envision an expensive paint job or interior, rather, I envision a stripped-down, bare-bones, hot rod.

So, stay tuned for more.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A friend called saying "come to the Canton swap meet, there is something you need to see." He knew I was looking for a new project. Upon arrival, I had no interest in the car he called about, but a few spots down was the StuFin.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The first order of work was to sort through, pitch, store, and clean up. I rented a pressure washer for a weekend and made excellent progress. I have most of the trim and accessories and the car and parts are in overall good condition.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The basic specs:
* 408 LS engine [4.030 iron block with 4.0 stroke.]
*Custom worked and designed cathedral port heads.
*Carburator on E85 fuel.
*Daytona Sensors LS ignition controller
*Chevy 350, three-speed trans.
*8.8 Ford rear.
*Long ladder bar.
*Rear coil-over shocks. The OE leaf springs will be removed.
*The rear frame will not be modified but some minor sheet metal work will allow a 30 x 11 rear tire.
*The front suspension and steering will be all OE Studebaker.
*Titled and licensed as "Antique" thus allowing limited street driving.

More soon

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Rear shock and crossmember mockup.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
rear shock

Larry Woodfin

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
I love it already!

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the build.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thats gonna be nice

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
Very cool. One of my favorite cars

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
What a great build, thanks for posting Larry.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For the last week or so, I have been sneaking up on the ladder bar cross-member and rear shock cross-member placement. The fitment for both is tedious because the frame sides are not parallel in either area. I considered adding some plates that would make the fit up parallel, but after pondering, I decided it would be best to have the cross-members fit snuggly to the frame. So, I am about there, and since I have no timeline, all is well. Once it is all fitted and welded, and painted, I will post photos.

The rear frame and suspension work will finish in a few weeks, and we will turn to other areas.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Also, before removing the original rear axle assembly, I measured and noted the location for reference. And the original leaf springs are still in place, being used as an alignment fixture. Once all components are accurately located, the leaf springs will be removed.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Larry, I can't wait to see the finished project.
I like the vision you have for it. Smile

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a High School friend, "TD" we had the same algebra teacher, Ms. Hill, and the same geometry teacher, Mr. Gallavan. We have been rod rodders, builders, car buffs, and buddies for about 65 years. Often, we will speak kindly about Ms. Hill and Mr. Gallavan about some of the lessons they taught us.

TD was just here, and I explained that we are near the point of strings, plumb bobs, levels, angle finders, and measuring tapes. The engine and rear housing location are roughed in, so the precision placement begins.

Note LS plastic block for construction purposes.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Also, note the odd Studebaker bell crank steering setup. I am leaving it alone for now, but installing a rack and pinion is an option.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The front motor plate sits on the original front engine brackets about 3" rearward. The first checking shows it will be around 1/2" lower in the front than what is mocked up now.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Cool build but Larry you know they even got away from bellcrank steering on jr dragsters hahaha

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
"stylish" front plate.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Way cool build but ya I would go with the rack n pinion-neat motor !plate

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 396 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post