DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Woodfin's 53 Studebaker with LS engine
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodfin's 53 Studebaker with LS engine
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Foot,

With the water pump on the bench where I can easily trace the water flow, it does not appear to work as you describe. Until I get the full explanation, I am skeptical. Also, consider all the race cars [and street cars] that do not have a heater. Plus, through the years, I have seen many situations of the heater being bypassed because the owner did not have the money for a core replacement.

I am open-minded, just trying to understand the situation. Y'all please advise.

I guess I caused some confusion.
The claim for the loop is to allow coolant to bypass the thermostat when the coolant is cold to allow the thermostat to open. The issue is the pump already has a built in bypass so it is not needed.
All the coolant going through this loop is coolant not directed to the radiator.
Also you can not just simply run the LS water pump with out a thermostat installed. If you do alot of coolant will not make it to the rad. You must block the internal bypass port if you remove the thermostat.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 235 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I honestly thought I had finished drag racing. I was wrong! It was a low swing in interest because of several factors and life events. With the WoodBaker project, I initially envisioned driving it around town and "touring" the back roads while driving too fast. As I began working on it, I realized that driving those back roads too fast would, sooner or later, get me in trouble with the law, neighbors, or both.

In addition, I began to visualize how it would look and perform on the track. First, I took measurements for rear tire fitment, pondered, measured, and then pondered more. Finally, this photo shows what will be required to fit the correct side rear tire.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A new 2 x 3 frame section moved inboard 5" will be just the ticket. Did you all realize that new, Stubedake frame section can be bought in bulk at the local supply store?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Nice

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Making room for the proper size tire

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The new frame is tacked in place. It will be triangulated at the plates, and the rear roll bar strut will sit at the top of the new rail.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This mod allows room for the Hoosier 31.5x12.5x15w

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The frame rails are 5" more inboard.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ladder bars in place

Larry Woodfin

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Awesome, Larry! The track is a good way to keep yourself out of trouble. Big Grin I'm looking forward to the rest of the build, and its performance on the track. You'll have a 1 of a kind ride for sure!

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
These old home-built tables show their age. I think "better build some better tables with each usage." But let's squeeze one more build out of them. The WoodBaker is at ride height, and the suspension is mocked up close to the final setup. Each build-up like this is unique. You can see that the upper shock mount will be above the frame rail, so this morning I am pondering the best way to do so. It will come to me when I am thinking about something else.

Also, the sheet metal cutting will begin to make ready for the wheel tubs. Monte "Little Chief" Panell will be over shortly to guide the "trimulating" [Monte says that's a technical term]

Then in the next few weeks, I need to make a final decision about wheels and tires so I can cut the housing and order axles, all in good time.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Rear shock mount

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Paying my dues with a rain of dirt!

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Making ready for tubs

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The WoodBaker has a generous wheel tub, so it looks like a 38" kit will be the ticket. Monte will be here after work today to double-check before I order. Monte is the man with such jobs and lots of experience. I am the rough-out man, and he is the detail man.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Something about the WoodBaker, at 119" has a longer wheelbase than anything I have built. I "think" it will be smooth and consistent, but just to be sure, I decided to make room for a big tire, just in case.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Check back with me in a few weeks. I am not satisfied with the tire clearance situation. I am going to build another fame, another 2 1/4" inboard. Plus more whittling on the floor. It is only a minor setback, and I will be happy I made the change later.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
In reflection, I often begin with a conservative plan. Later, it becomes more serious. To avoid that problem, I am now satisfied with the tire clearance potential. No matter the future plans, the tires room is "enough."

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Big tire

Larry Woodfin