DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster vibration...stumped and need HELP
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster vibration...stumped and need HELP
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
A way out there idea. Were the trunions welded in perfect phase in the drive shaft tube? I think it could easily be something to do with the drive shaft.

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 790 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of msavoia23
posted Hide Post
As promised, update on where we are at with this fun issue:

Picked up a new to us American at the end of the racing season, put our motor and trans in it but unfortunately didn't have time to get it out.

Took everything off the "broken" car and just yesterday blasted off the powdercoating down to the bare chassis hoping to find a crack or break. Did not find anything. Weighing our options at this point..

Posts: 29 | Location: Toledo, OH | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SC4400:
A way out there idea. Were the trunions welded in perfect phase in the drive shaft tube? I think it could easily be something to do with the drive shaft.

RIP

Hopefully already covered...Very possible it could be universal binding under acceleration and deccel.. in 1978 new crew cab had a vibration the dealer could not find. Years later I figured out not only did they miss the mid shaft timing but also rear shaft was not in phase when welded. Just a couple of years ago, lowered wife’s Silverado and picked up a bad vibration.. yep universal bind. Bought 7deg shims and fixed it...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Brake Rotor ??? Maybe cracked. It’s no fun chasing issues —- spending money with no results.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Take small bottle jack and try jacking up between frame rails next to each upright to see if something moves found an upright cracked in my old car that way

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
Have you got weight in the nose ?, check the toe-in? ,some dragsters like nose weight . And toe'd neutral or out will wonder and shake like crazy

photo wao-painting-logo-1_zpse0a5ba9f.jpg

Posts: 338 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
This may have already been suggested in the earlier replies which I didn’t read all of them, but have you checked the threads on the 4 link heim joints to see if you may have pulled the thread loose. I read about a very similar problem that happened to well known super stock racer and the only way he found it was using a go pro at the rear end. You could see the 4 link bar expanding and retracting under load but otherwise it was oblivious to the eye. Just a thought

Posts: 10 | Location: Oklahoma  | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post