Find
Notify
Tools

Wheels
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted
While I've long since accepted the idea that I don't need screws in my rear wheels (14.5W Hoosiers) nor do I like them. Especially, since I run 12 Lb of pressure now.

None the less the holes have been there for years. I use as short a screw as I can just to fill the hole. It's time to replace the tires again. I'm dreading the prospect of dealing with these screws again as the threads are wearing out. Leaving the out on the front side is out of the question, too ugly.

Any idea of how to deal with this? Or do I just have my wife buy me a complete new set of Billet Specialties Comp 5 wheels?

My existing wheels are old Centerlines that kinda look like the BS Street lites. They are no longer available.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Tig weld the holes shut tap them for real threads and plug with Allen set screws could even use aluminum set screws and thread from inside and the grind and surface the face so they blend in with wheel or convert wheels to bead locks

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Tig weld the holes shut tap them for real threads and plug with Allen set screws could even use aluminum set screws and thread from inside and the grind and surface the face so they blend in with wheel or convert wheels to bead locks

Actually the Allen screws in the wheel may look interesting. Would not serve much purpose except clean up the holes. If you are going to buy a new set of wheels these Race Star wheels are worth considering.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3972 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
New wheels are always fun

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Race Star wheels appear very nice, I am seeing more of them on some very fast cars including Pro Mods, Pro Stocks, TD/TS and NPK cars. The only thing I do not like is they are 100% forged and machined in China and when I have a choice, I am anti China when it comes to my race car. This came directly from Race Star when I talked to them about buying a set. The facility in Missouri is a distribution warehouse and nothing more.

Posts: 2403 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Big Steve...KNOWS and no surprise clueless curly cue runs this chinese junk!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of Billet specialty street lites for my new car. I’ve got to say they are really nice wheels. Light too. Not cheap though. I say go ahead and get them. You will be glad you did.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Second vote for new wheels. Christmas is almost here....call it "presents".......

Also a chance to spruce things up a bit with a really nice wheel..

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i had a set of wheels where the screw holes were wore out. i got a guy to tig weld the holes shut and the i filed the weld down flush and polished the edges back up. just cleaned up the inside bead where the welds were. they looked like there was never holes there and ran them until i sold them.

ep-the allen screw idea sounds easier than what i did. but mine looked good.

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Race Star wheels appear very nice, I am seeing more of them on some very fast cars including Pro Mods, Pro Stocks, TD/TS and NPK cars. The only thing I do not like is they are 100% forged and machined in China and when I have a choice, I am anti China when it comes to my race car. This came directly from Race Star when I talked to them about buying a set. The facility in Missouri is a distribution warehouse and nothing more.

i was about to get a set to, and they told me the same thing, via email...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
For anyone wanting forged, light weight rear wheels for cheaper than the Delta's, RC Comp just came out with a new rear wheel you all may wanna check into!

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
For anyone wanting forged, light weight rear wheels for cheaper than the Delta's, RC Comp just came out with a new rear wheel you all may wanna check into!

These do look really good.
https://www.shoprccomponents.c...-ZZFg2xoCuvEQAvD_BwE

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3972 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’ll take the Delta everyday, all day!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:

^^^^This
Instead of fixing the elongated screw holes in the 25 yr old Bogarts on my car that I still liked, I sent them to N&P for a bead lock conversion.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Besides the China deal, not a fan of the design structurally. Even more so once I saw them in person. The test of time will tell just like it did on on the Spin Works wheels!

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If you watch NPK, Kye Kelly had a wheel break, he is sponsored by Race Star but swears up and down that it was a borrowed set of wheels from Dean Karnes and not a Race Star wheel. But Dean also runs them so the story sounds fishy to me.

Posts: 2403 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

I believe they`re the lightest of bead lock wheels but the cost is almost 4K for the pair.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yep they are

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Just looking at pictures the BS Comp 5 fronts look awful spindly. The street version looks a little more robust. I'm already at minimum weight dso that's not an issue.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 434 olds:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

I believe they`re the lightest of bead lock wheels but the cost is almost 4K for the pair.

Cost is 4K for ONE wheel.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post