DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Low voltage and delay box issues?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low voltage and delay box issues?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted
So I had the car out for the first time this weekend and I found out my battery charger was junk. Gauge was only showing 12.1 volts on the return road I don’t think the alternator could keep up. Here was the other issue....my lights were all over the place. One time trial and in and I was .024 so I rolled 7 out figuring it was my first hit of the season. I had to cross over (crosstalk in effect) and I was dialed 5.66...he was 7.34. I let it go and came up .131 ??? Didn’t think I killed it but that late and you know. Voltage was junk still. Of course I was dead 1 lol. Bought back and had a 4.80 dragster. I’m .006 and back in. Next round I get a 6.13 car to my 5.65. Let it go and I’m .042.....I’m thinking the low voltage did me in. Any one else’s ever have this happen with low voltage? The box is a Biondo Elite 95. Thanks

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
There was a recent discussion about lights that late that turned out to be button sticking.
I wouldn’t consider 12.1 volts too low for box to operate correctly myself but I would call Biondo and ask.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Pro, I think it is reasonable to consider that you are "rusty" as a driver. A practice tree is your friend.

Generally speaking, if the car had enough voltage to start the engine for the run, it had enough voltage to properly operate the delay box.

And another point to consider, staging position. Even 1" will considerably change the reaction time. Also, if the car moves when trans brake is applied and foot brake released that will change the reaction.

Having a line lock activated with trans brake is a good thing.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think if the voltage was low enough to affect your delay box, it would be messing up the ignition down track when it’s working hard and you’d get some type of miss or low voltage indication there.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Read the instructions on the delay box and ignition you are using. It reads that both will operate with an input voltage of 10 – 18 volts.

As others have posted, if the battery had enough power to crank the engine, it had more than enough to properly run the delay box and ignition.

Your problem lies else ware.

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but voltage is used to apply and hold the brake, spring or hydraulic pressure is used to release the brake.
I also don't believe that a drop of 2 volts will make the digital circuits slow down since i have raced with 12 volts and 15 volts and it made no difference.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Just for the record I put the "cleaned switch" back in the car for the Denver race. All was good until my .012 and dead 4 run was negated by A.J. Percival's .006 and also dead 4. He did runner-up so great job there A.J.

But the switch was fine after cleaning. I agree with these guys, I would look at something else but of course be sure you have your battery checked and also look closely at your grounds. Good luck!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5308 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post