DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Motorhome tire age
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorhome tire age
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
I have some 2013 tires that were installed in 2014 on my pusher. Never close to overloaded, fairly light pusher. Mostly local racing with one or two out of longer distance races a year. In northern IL. Stored in barn 6 months a year and shaded from western afternoon sun.
Tires "appear" to be in excellent condition with no cracking or other issues. Hankooks.
I'm getting the itch to replace them but don't want to be premature about it.
Thoughts?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would definitely replace them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Weather and underinflation usually kill off MH and trailer tires long before the tread is gone.... if it's in your budget, 5-6 years is good service life and certainly earned new skins for the safety factor...

IMHO of course

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4458 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Weather and underinflation usually kill off MH and trailer tires long before the tread is gone.... if it's in your budget, 5-6 years is good service life and certainly earned new skins for the safety factor...

IMHO of course

I knew underinflation....so I'm strict about using the inflation table and tire monitors. And keeping them out of the sun.

But they sure make a mess when they come apart, and I would rather avoid that.

Speaking of messes.....racoon at midnight last night sure left his mark on the front of the trailer. Nasty. bet he won't do that again.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6390 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Like Dave said, 5 to 6 is about the average life expectancy. Here in the land of Oz I was told by the CHP that 7 is the maximum.

Certainly not a cheap purchase, mine cost me about $3100 plus the Governors cut.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
All the RV sites seem to suggest no more than 7. I think I to am getting pretty close so probably next spring

Posts: 6200 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What about factors like heat and sun exposure? Does a California tire take more of a beating than an Illinois tire that spends half the year inside?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about factors like heat and sun exposure? Does a California tire take more of a beating than an Illinois tire that spends half the year inside?

Fair question. The suggested time frames are likely based on valid experience but I can't help but wonder what aspects of the tire is failing? It's not the tread, it's not UV crack checking on the sidewalls. So it must be internal, the carcass or the belts or......?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:

Fair question. The suggested time frames are likely based on valid experience but I can't help but wonder what aspects of the tire is failing? It's not the tread, it's not UV crack checking on the sidewalls. So it must be internal, the carcass or the belts or......?

My thoughts too. They give a specific life, and then tell you to keep them out of the sun and not underinflate, and keep speeds reasonable and protect from hot weather. So I do those things......but why?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Change the steer at a minimum

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I might break it up that way.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Safety first Always steers first. Nothing worse than blowing a steer. Care,custody and control.
Popped a steer in the dually. Put me in the other lane. I should of known better on the age since i used to sell truck tires. Stupid me. Dummy me.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 69dart
posted Hide Post
Change the steer tires for sure and keep one for a spare.

We had a dual blow last year and other than the 'bang' we never knew anything happened but they can do some damage. Nursed it 35MPH to the track and changed it.

I read RV guys selling 8 year tires on ebay/craigslist for a decent amount ($1200 for 6) to dumptruck drivers.

Posts: 27 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 69dart:

We had a dual blow last year and other than the 'bang' we never knew anything happened but they can do some damage. Nursed it 35MPH to the track and changed it.

I read RV guys selling 8 year tires on ebay/craigslist for a decent amount ($1200 for 6) to dumptruck drivers.

I finally put tire pressure monitors on all my tires after deciding I didn't want to tear up the trailer I just built. Cool deal, shows pressure and temp for each tire.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I got $125 each for my take offs last time

Posts: 6200 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
quote:
Originally posted by 69dart:

I finally put tire pressure monitors on all my tires after deciding I didn't want to tear up the trailer I just built. Cool deal, shows pressure and temp for each tire.

I have one now too.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
7 years is drop dead time on top tier tires, regardless of exterior appearance.
Could they last 9 years? Maayyyybee?
Even Michelin only guarantees their casing integrity for 7 years.

Lots of options out there. Michelin will be the softest ride for your coach. You can typically run a Michelin with 10-15 psi less pressure than a comparable brand. They contain more natural rubber than any other tire.

My .02

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1636 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post