Find
Notify
Tools

700R4 Rebuild
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted
I have a 1982 700R4 I plan to rebuild before installing it into my street car.
Car will be a cruiser with 300 - 400 HP, I understand this is the first generation of the tranny and they were prone to issues, so I want to know what to do in order to not have any issues pop up on the road. My goal is to do the Power Tour when the car is finished.

Car is a 55 Ford Victoria with a stroked 312 Y Block.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
I have a 1982 700R4 I plan to rebuild before installing it into my street car.
Car will be a cruiser with 300 - 400 HP, I understand this is the first generation of the tranny and they were prone to issues, so I want to know what to do in order to not have any issues pop up on the road. My goal is to do the Power Tour when the car is finished.

Car is a 55 Ford Victoria with a stroked 312 Y Block.

Dave

Do a 4L60E Can control everything about it electronically. Find one with the cast in bell housing.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:

I understand this is the first generation of the tranny and they were prone to issues, so I want to know what to do in order to not have any issues pop up on the road..

Dave

The problem areas were improved probably in the middle of 1986.

Your best bet is to get a 1987 core. It has a 30 spline input shaft vs the 27 spline like the one you have. Also, it has an auxiliary valve body.

Here's some more info on the later units...

file:///C:/Users/Bill/Downloads/Transmission%20-700R4-AUX.pdf

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Well Dave, sounds like your '82 700R4 has been thrown out behind the back of the garage. Didn't think of that

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trans Lady

The problem areas were improved probably in the middle of 1986.

Your best bet is to get a 1987 core. It has a 30 spline input shaft vs the 27 spline like the one you have. Also, it has an auxiliary valve body.

Here's some more info on the later units...

file:///C:/Users/Bill/Downloads/Transmission%20-700R4-AUX.pdf
This is best way to do it and it last a long time.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
Well Dave, sounds like your '82 700R4 has been thrown out behind the back of the garage. Didn't think of that

LOL.. Yeah and I just bought it the day I posted this.

I've been researching it and most of the issues seem to have been pressure related along with a couple of hard parts.
I put the question out here because I knew there are several transmission guys hanging out that would steer me in the right direction..

Looks like it's back to the drawing board. I just hate to pay 3-400.00 for a core transmission I will rebuild anyway.. I'm kinda cheap that way. lol

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Hotrod, no way will I spend 700.00 on a trans controller along with everything else. lol
I over paid for the car and I am currently doing a frame off restore (if I can find a bodyman that's not to lazy).
Seriously, I'm trying to stay away from as much electronics as possible.

Translady, I can't open your pdf file/link.

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had an '82 Suburban with a 700r4.

The trans puked one day as I backed out of my driveway.....Made a nasty noise when it did.

I talked my good friend into rebuilding it. He did many transmissions in his day.

The converter broke inside and sent metal into the front pump. The pump was aluminum and was torn up from the metal.

I got a good used pump and a rebuild kit and a Transgo shift kit.....

It worked fine after that for a while. I made a trip to Texas and towed a trailer home and after that the trans did not seem right and I did not trust it......I had a T-350 installed and changed the rear gear for the second time....

Those early 700's were poor and I towed all over with that Suburban.....

I did have a switch on the shifter to defeat the lockup converter.

The converters were junk...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Dave check your PMs

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Looks like my buddy Lane has came up with a solution to my problem..

Thanks guy's

Dave

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I had an '82 Suburban with a 700r4.

The trans puked one day as I backed out of my driveway.....Made a nasty noise when it did.

I talked my good friend into rebuilding it. He did many transmissions in his day.

The converter broke inside and sent metal into the front pump. The pump was aluminum and was torn up from the metal.

I got a good used pump and a rebuild kit and a Transgo shift kit.....

It worked fine after that for a while. I made a trip to Texas and towed a trailer home and after that the trans did not seem right and I did not trust it......I had a T-350 installed and changed the rear gear for the second time....

Those early 700's were poor and I towed all over with that Suburban.....

I did have a switch on the shifter to defeat the lockup converter.

The converters were junk...

Fortunately/unfortunately I was never involved with them other than changing fluid.
I did have nightmare experiences with the 1982 Ford AOD. At the time I was a Ford service manager and had no luck with them.

Plan is to get an aftermarket converter for it.

Dave

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
They "fixed" the TH700R4 in 1987. I bought my Firebird in December of 1987, raced the crap out of it until the torque convertor bolts sheared-off one night. Maybe 20K street miles, hundreds of passes, only thing I did to it was install a shift kit from B&M the first month I owned it!

I had a 1991 GMC Jimmy with the same trans, that one went 160K, again, shift kit within a month of buying it. Used that truck to tow my race car with an open trailer for years.

Those transmissions can be just fine for street cars, but you need the later ones and put a shift kit in them and a big cooler. Made mine last forever!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
Dave
There is nothing wrong with using an early 700 for your build. Finding a good core is not easy these days. The early 700 will needs some upgrades to make it reliable for what you’re doing. I build several 700’s a week a will use an early one if it’s a good core. I would recommend getting a 4L60 core for the hard parts used to upgrade your 700. The 2 piece 4L60 can be pretty cheap to get and will work. With a few aftermarket parts you’ll be good to go.

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by superpro54:
Dave
I build several 700’s a week a will use an early one if it’s a good core. I would recommend getting a 4L60 core for the hard parts used to upgrade your 700.

Aren't the later 700R4 renamed 4l60's Confused

Why would you swap out a newer unit into an old one?

Dave, if you copy and paste my info into google or whatever search you use, you will see the changes that were made.

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trans Lady:
quote:
Originally posted by superpro54:
Dave
I build several 700’s a week a will use an early one if it’s a good core. I would recommend getting a 4L60 core for the hard parts used to upgrade your 700.

Aren't the later 700R4 renamed 4l60's Confused

Why would you swap out a newer unit into an old one?

Dave, if you copy and paste my info into google or whatever search you use, you will see the changes that were made.

Bill, you linked to a file that is stored on your computer. Nobody else can see what it is.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nobody else can see what it is.

Call the NSA, they can email it to ya.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

Bill, you linked to a file that is stored on your computer. Nobody else can see what it is.

Sorry about that but I might have to take Canted Valve advice. lol

By the way I'm Bill's wife Marie.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the info/advise.

Fastlane is hooking me up with a 1988 model 700R4/4L60. So it looks like a rebuild kit and a shift kit will be the answer..

Yeah, Marie if I could see that file I would be a hacker..lol
But if you wanted to send me the file that could be good. email dcovey1@hot.rr.com

Thanks

Dave

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Went thru 700r4 rebuilds for while in 84 z/28 running pretty hot 383. Finally bought B&M deal and 2600 stall.Best move I made. They can be beefed up but in long run cost was to close to make it worth trouble.

4l8e deal with stand alone is stupid simple. Minne was 800 bucks with speedometer converter for old speedometer cable drive.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I was told a long time ago that the case identifies early and late - the later ones have a casting line that runs right through the middle of one of the cooling lines. This is as long as the guts haven't been swapped out...

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post