DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    LS engines, who is bracket racing an LS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LS engines, who is bracket racing an LS
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
I don't see any need for LS, this dipped in the 5's n/a off the trailer 10 x 28 tire. New engine combo and transmission I threw together with junk I had laying around. It's pretty decent parts Dart billet cap block, Lunati Pro crank & rods 3.875 stroke 427 but it's cylinder head limited with Brodix T1 233 out of the box 730 lift Bullet roller. Nothing high dollar top end here.

I don't see any need for LS until I see one 3200 lbs dippin in the 5's n/a.

3200 lbs n/a in the 5's isn't overly difficult. 346" 11-1 super stock engines with factory casting cathedral heads are capable of running 5.90's-6.0's. Yeah they have radical cam designs and the cars work good. But I'd sure hope if someone built a 13 or 14-1 engine with a vacuum pump and used some of the good aftermarket head castings out there with somewhere around 400" it be able to run in the 5's pretty easily without totally going overboard on the budget.
Absolutely love the Nova by the way. Looks great.

Posts: 4 | Location: Aberdeen SD | Registered: September 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Ryan:
quote:
I don't see any need for LS, this dipped in the 5's n/a off the trailer 10 x 28 tire. New engine combo and transmission I threw together with junk I had laying around. It's pretty decent parts Dart billet cap block, Lunati Pro crank & rods 3.875 stroke 427 but it's cylinder head limited with Brodix T1 233 out of the box 730 lift Bullet roller. Nothing high dollar top end here.

I don't see any need for LS until I see one 3200 lbs dippin in the 5's n/a.

3200 lbs n/a in the 5's isn't overly difficult. 346" 11-1 super stock engines with factory casting cathedral heads are capable of running 5.90's-6.0's. Yeah they have radical cam designs and the cars work good. But I'd sure hope if someone built a 13 or 14-1 engine with a vacuum pump and used some of the good aftermarket head castings out there with somewhere around 400" it be able to run in the 5's pretty easily without totally going overboard on the budget.
Absolutely love the Nova by the way. Looks great.

TU

I agree completely, this is a out of the box set of Brodix T1 flow 326, for work around 7300 rpm.

On a 10 x 28 bias tire.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanNorton1:
I think the oiling issues are over-stated...

The oil pumps tend to aerate the oil simply due to their design above 8,000 RPM. Without a serious head package or a small CID engine you'd never want to go that high in a bracket combination.

Oh ya, Larry and Troy do. hahaha

Posts: 19 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Haley:
Just to provide an update from my earlier post in this thread:

I put the 5.3 on alcohol before I pulled it out. It ran 6.85 at a track that's historically .03-.04 slower than my home track. That being said, I think that pass would have been about 6.80-6.82 at home.

I put my dish piston 6.0 (LQ4) in the truck with the cam, heads, and intake from the 5.3 on it. The first weekend out with the 6.0 it went 6.69 on pump gas. I put the alky carb back on it today and I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. If all goes well, I think it'll go mid-high 6.50s. Not bad for a stock short block that sat on an engine stand for 6 years. I paid core price for it because it had "oil pressure issues."

After I got the 5.3 out, I pulled the rod caps and looked at the bearings. A 20 year old junkyard engine with 150k street miles and over 1000 passes on it still had rod bearings that looked brand new.

It's interesting looking at the stuff that we considered race only that is running around in Silverados. Full floating pistons. Heads that flow almost as well as an old untouched track one head. From the factory and often had second hand for well under a grand running. And the hp that many are making and holding with these on bone stock engines is mind blowing. No factory take out bb or sb brags this.

I agree for the most part, but some of the Vortec 350s in the late 90s Silverados and Tahoes right before they went LS were great engines as well. Oh, and my 6.0 went 6.60 @ 101 with a 1.39 60' on alcohol. I think with a little tinkering and a touch better conditions it'll go in the mid 6.50s.

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 38 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm so new to the LS thing, a simple part like cam bearings can be time consuming to figure out what to order. I guess over the years there were minor differences in the blocks. Mine is an LS2 we think, aluminum block. Wouldn't you think it would just be opening up Summit's web site and ordering a set? Smile

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’m considering going the ls route just to have a low Maintenence car. Is this reasonable to try to go 6.0s with or am I better off to stick with the trusty 468

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I put together a stock bottom end 6.0 this season for my former Stock Eliminator Nova. SBE milled and ported 243's pretty mild cam 238/244 .610. Port matched vic jr. with a HP innovations E85 carb, some cheap speed engineering headers. Left the T350 in it and has a decent 8" coan converter 4.10 gears. Weighs 3300 with me in it and runs 6.60's-6.70's. It's been virtually no maintenance and been pretty repeatable thus far. I think with a few little tweaks it'd run 6.50's. Already picked up a no box win with it 2nd weekend out and made some decent laps at Cedar Falls SFG race. Just did a terrible job of pulling into the lanes. Ha. Putting together a stroker set up that should be 5.90-6.0 player and still be pretty easy on parts.

Rick Ryan

Posts: 3 | Location: Aberdeen, SD | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
I recently swapped in a CT525 LS into a 2800lb backhalf 71 camaro. The CT525 is essentially an LS3, alum block etc. but comes with forged stock replacement pistons and a gm upgraded camshaft, albeit setup well for carb intake, it is a small cam still and I plan on changing it maybe over the winter. Car currently has a 4.56 gear, 32/14 tire and runs 6.40's with a 750 apd alcohol carb with a Powerglide and 5800 stall converter. It has been an awesome motor so far, and as mentioned above a few tweaks I might be able to pick up a few hundredths easy the way it sits. After the cam swap and maybe some other simple upgrades without digging into the bottom end or anything, I'd like to think it'll pick up quite a bit..

I will say this, If you plan on trying to go 6.0's, it'll likely need to be a stroker motor, and aluminum block if you can. But these things work, run a long time with no need to come apart and I haven't done much of any maintenance to the thing in the first 2 months of racing it. Gonna give it an oil change and check everything over, but other than that it's gonna get beat on some more.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rryan5429:
I put together a stock bottom end 6.0 this season for my former Stock Eliminator Nova. SBE milled and ported 243's pretty mild cam 238/244 .610. Port matched vic jr. with a HP innovations E85 carb, some cheap speed engineering headers. Left the T350 in it and has a decent 8" coan converter 4.10 gears. Weighs 3300 with me in it and runs 6.60's-6.70's. It's been virtually no maintenance and been pretty repeatable thus far. I think with a few little tweaks it'd run 6.50's. Already picked up a no box win with it 2nd weekend out and made some decent laps at Cedar Falls SFG race. Just did a terrible job of pulling into the lanes. Ha. Putting together a stroker set up that should be 5.90-6.0 player and still be pretty easy on parts.

Rick Ryan

I'd be interested in seeing that on a small tire.

That would be different.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I’ve tore down many LS engines with well over 200K miles. Bearings typically look new, maybe.002” cylinder wall wear, maybe! Obviously high nickel blocks. A freshened up short block will easily handle 850 hp

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Dustin Lee, was in So Cal, moved to Boise. In my opinion nobody better at making an LS talk!
Very talented young man. Look him up on FB.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4464 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Dustin Lee, was in So Cal, moved to Boise. In my opinion nobody better at making an LS talk!
Very talented young man. Look him up on FB.

7200 - 7400 converter / powerglide?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
A freshened up short block will easily handle 850 hp

Today's youth does a lot of (gasp) kick-down street racing as evidenced on YouTube. There are a lot of Corvette's, Camaro's and Cadillac's running LS engines that are heavily boosted with superchargers and turbo's. So the capability of the blocks/platform is well proven.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2323 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Rick Ryan

That would be different.

It’s going to start on a small tire. May end up with a mini tub to fit a 10.5 29.5 at some point. 1.80 glide and not sure if it’ll be footbraked or off the button or both depending on the day. The big engine will be an aluminum block so glide and engine and putting kirkeys in it’ll probably get it down to about 3150-3175. We’ll see how it works when we get that far. May have to play around with pulling a little timing at the hit. Or maybe not lol.

Posts: 4 | Location: Aberdeen SD | Registered: September 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
At a no time event here at Piedmont there was guy parked next to us running 4.30's and had a stock bottomend ls 6.0. Him and lil brother are buddies is how I know what he was running, before anyone ask.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4158 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Ryan:
quote:
quote:

Rick Ryan

That would be different.

It’s going to start on a small tire. May end up with a mini tub to fit a 10.5 29.5 at some point. 1.80 glide and not sure if it’ll be footbraked or off the button or both depending on the day. The big engine will be an aluminum block so glide and engine and putting kirkeys in it’ll probably get it down to about 3150-3175. We’ll see how it works when we get that far. May have to play around with pulling a little timing at the hit. Or maybe not lol.

Sounds good.