DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    LS engines, who is bracket racing an LS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LS engines, who is bracket racing an LS
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
ICT Billet makes front motor plates for the LS, they also make an adaptor setup to bolt a big block chevy electric water pump on the front of the engine, moroso makes an adaptor set as well. I have an alternator on my truck, and also had a belt drive pump at one time, moroso makes a drive mandrel. I used the front plate to mount everything instead of worrying about mounting to the heads.

quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
What about front motor plates, electric water pumps and accessory drive?
Any ls engines to seek or stay away from? What upgrades are needed? Issues with 7500+ rpm?

Posts: 63 | Location: youngstown, oh | Registered: February 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Brian,
Do you still have your moroso old belt drive? and if so are you interested in selling it?

Posts: 41 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian McHattie:
ICT Billet makes front motor plates for the LS, they also make an adaptor setup to bolt a big block chevy electric water pump on the front of the engine, moroso makes an adaptor set as well. I have an alternator on my truck, and also had a belt drive pump at one time, moroso makes a drive mandrel. I used the front plate to mount everything instead of worrying about mounting to the heads.

quote:
What about front motor plates, electric water pumps and accessory drive?
Any ls engines to seek or stay away from? What upgrades are needed? Issues with 7500+ rpm?

Good resource. The plates make things easy, and the water pumps and adapters give some choices as well.

What are the reasonable rpm limits for the bottom end on these stockers? Best to keep it 7200 and below?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian McHattie:
1.31 60' 6.28 @106 10.07@138

That’s a really odd line. How is the back half ET so slow, while at the same time gaining 32 mph where something around 24-25 would be typical?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There’s a couple guys taking bone stock 5.3s and spinning them 8500 with cam, lifters, springs, and maybe a port job. Capizzi has gotten 20+ passes multiple times on a setup like this making about 1400 hp. These have gen IV rods (i forget exactly which years are gen iv but 2010 is one of them). The gen iii rods won’t handle as much power.

Meanwhile I can’t get mine to go 60’... We’ll figure it out though.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well, 20 passes isn't a lot....

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well it is if, its a stock cast piston, stock cast rod and Cast crank. These LS and the Ford Mod motors are just built tough.

You are not going to pull a motorhome 454 out of the junk hard put a cam and a turbo on it and make 20 passes on 18+ pounds of boost. Nor will you make 1000+hp with it.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 239 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
These have gen IV rods (i forget exactly which years are gen iv but 2010 is one of them).

The LS1 was gen III. The LS2 & LS3 were Gen IV. The LS2 debuted in 2005 - 2007 with the C6 Corvette. The LS3 was from 2008 to 2013.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is heads up racing, two races.

The class we were gonna race this would've required the engine gone through every race. Pistons, head gaskets most probably/certainly, and whatever else arose.

The new DXP Street class we're now running it might make it 50 laps. 50 would be an excellent service life.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Just watched a youtube video of a stock bottom end....they say....5.3 with turbo in a pro stock truck go 7-teens 190. Yikes.

We picked up a 6.0L aluminum block, rectangular port heads with a truck intake. Rings seem to be stuck but the bores look very nice considering the water that came out of them.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Keep us informed. I know the LS engines get a bad rap for the following:

Cam bearing problems.
Oiling system problems above 7000.
Thrust bearing problems.
Stock roller rocker problems.

Curious to see how you deal with the above. Certainly there are people that know, maybe they will talk about it now, but years ago they didn't. Was like talking to fast Stock and Super Stock guys, they weren't giving-away any secrets.........

I was in the midst of tuning a newly built 406 LS, had about 200 miles on the engine when the cam bearings starting to seize on the street. Nothing special engine, made about 650hp at the time. That engine builder obviously didn't know the secrets to making those bearings stay-still.

I was thinking about this last year but the fact that a plastic lifter tray can ruin your day plus mess up a lot of expensive parts made me re-think the whole idea.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We picked up a 6.0L aluminum block, rectangular port heads with a truck intake.

A 6.0 is an LS2 block. If the rectangular port heads are stock then they are LS3 and have offset intake rockers. The truck intake is desirable as the passenger care intakes are restricted by hood clearance. But you may know all this already. Hope this works out for you.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
We picked up a 6.0L aluminum block, rectangular port heads with a truck intake.

A 6.0 is an LS2 block. If the rectangular port heads are stock then they are LS3 and have offset intake rockers. The truck intake is desirable as the passenger care intakes are restricted by hood clearance. But you may know all this already. Hope this works out for you.

Just barely know it. LOL. The intake had a small hole in the top. But in a dragster, I may splurge on at least an intake that looks nicer. The truck intake top is pretty ugly with no cover.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Two guys out here, father and son Tim and Nate Larson each won $5k races this season using LS engines with mostly stock parts, I believe.
Also podiumed in multiple classes.
These engines and these racers are the real deal.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What is the practical rpm limit for a stock bottom end 6.0l with appropriate valve trane? All my converters and gears are geared toward 6800-8100 rpm range

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Alan Bracey's of SDPC The Race Shop, 700HP LS in his S-10 with a hydraulic cam, GM LS3 heads and GM aluminum block

https://sdparts.com/i-24104146...ate-race-engine.html

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jason Haley
posted Hide Post
Just to provide an update from my earlier post in this thread:

I put the 5.3 on alcohol before I pulled it out. It ran 6.85 at a track that's historically .03-.04 slower than my home track. That being said, I think that pass would have been about 6.80-6.82 at home.

I put my dish piston 6.0 (LQ4) in the truck with the cam, heads, and intake from the 5.3 on it. The first weekend out with the 6.0 it went 6.69 on pump gas. I put the alky carb back on it today and I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. If all goes well, I think it'll go mid-high 6.50s. Not bad for a stock short block that sat on an engine stand for 6 years. I paid core price for it because it had "oil pressure issues."

After I got the 5.3 out, I pulled the rod caps and looked at the bearings. A 20 year old junkyard engine with 150k street miles and over 1000 passes on it still had rod bearings that looked brand new.

Slow S-10
Slower Cutlass

Posts: 38 | Location: Smiths Grove, KY | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I don't see any need for LS, this dipped in the 5's n/a off the trailer 10 x 28 tire. New engine combo and transmission I threw together with junk I had laying around. It's pretty decent parts Dart billet cap block, Lunati Pro crank & rods 3.875 stroke 427 but it's cylinder head limited with Brodix T1 233 out of the box 730 lift Bullet roller. Nothing high dollar top end here.

I don't see any need for LS until I see one 3200 lbs dippin in the 5's n/a.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Haley:
Just to provide an update from my earlier post in this thread:

I put the 5.3 on alcohol before I pulled it out. It ran 6.85 at a track that's historically .03-.04 slower than my home track. That being said, I think that pass would have been about 6.80-6.82 at home.

I put my dish piston 6.0 (LQ4) in the truck with the cam, heads, and intake from the 5.3 on it. The first weekend out with the 6.0 it went 6.69 on pump gas. I put the alky carb back on it today and I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. If all goes well, I think it'll go mid-high 6.50s. Not bad for a stock short block that sat on an engine stand for 6 years. I paid core price for it because it had "oil pressure issues."

After I got the 5.3 out, I pulled the rod caps and looked at the bearings. A 20 year old junkyard engine with 150k street miles and over 1000 passes on it still had rod bearings that looked brand new.

It's interesting looking at the stuff that we considered race only that is running around in Silverados. Full floating pistons. Heads that flow almost as well as an old untouched track one head. From the factory and often had second hand for well under a grand running. And the hp that many are making and holding with these on bone stock engines is mind blowing. No factory take out bb or sb brags this.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo