DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Gen 4 Camaro engine removal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen 4 Camaro engine removal
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Because of how far back the engines sit in a Gen 4 Camaro I'm assuming they must come out from the bottom of the car. If that is a true statement has any one done this "safely" without a lift? The car in question has a BMR tubular K member.

Posts: 21 | Location: york haven,pa | Registered: December 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had a Firebird with an LT-1 EFI Stocker. I bought the car as a rolling chassis and built my own engine. I made an extension for my hoist, added some weight to the back and made a device to hook to the engine as tight to the intake as possible. Left the hood on and got it straight up as much as possible. No water pump or distributer cap. Turn it a little sideways and it goes in from the top. Headers went right on from bottom. Put trans in from bottom. Metric 200 trans. Did it in my garage, no lift and pretty tight area. They make a plate for them to bolt to the intake called the Happy Hooker. I made a 4 chain deal that went across the top to the exhaust holes if I remember right. It’s a tough car to work on for sure. Engine is half under the cowl. That’s why they work so good !! Front is all plastic and weight bias is real good. Hooked in a car wash, lol I’m sure some people do drop it out the bottom with the K member. With a lift that would be doable !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Don't know what it would yield but I'd do a search on YouTube.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2322 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Like Rich said, take it up and out. I leave the balancer and flywheel on my LT-1 stocker and LS1 super stocker. Leave the gas struts attached until you start to lift the motor then undo them and stand the hood straight up. After the oil pan and flywheel can clear the motor mounts turning it 90 degrees will help you.

Posts: 27 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input.

Posts: 21 | Location: york haven,pa | Registered: December 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just finished a V6 Camaro rebuild. I took it out through the bottom. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

The advantage is when you put it in, you bolt everything up (engine, transmission, cradle, etc) and then you slide it under the car. Then lower the body, hook up the bolts and harness, fuel lines and fire it up.

When I removed it, I didn't have a lift I used a cherry picker and a furniture dolly to rest the motor/transmission on. I just unhooked everything, slide a furniture dolly under the cradle and transmission area, hooked the cherry picker to the radiator support, raised the body up, and rolled the engine free when everything was clear.

I have a handful of pictures, but there are plenty of videos on youtube that help. I used a checklist from somewhere on an f body website that was detailed and crossed everything off as I unhooked it. This kept me from raising and lowering the car and kept me from getting up and down 100 times.

Posts: 286 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
I just finished a V6 Camaro rebuild. I took it out through the bottom. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

The advantage is when you put it in, you bolt everything up (engine, transmission, cradle, etc) and then you slide it under the car. Then lower the body, hook up the bolts and harness, fuel lines and fire it up.

When I removed it, I didn't have a lift I used a cherry picker and a furniture dolly to rest the motor/transmission on. I just unhooked everything, slide a furniture dolly under the cradle and transmission area, hooked the cherry picker to the radiator support, raised the body up, and rolled the engine free when everything was clear.

I have a handful of pictures, but there are plenty of videos on youtube that help. I used a checklist from somewhere on an f body website that was detailed and crossed everything off as I unhooked it. This kept me from raising and lowering the car and kept me from getting up and down 100 times.

Friend of ours just did it ^^^^ this way to his Camaro in my brothers shop. Undid everything, lifted car, pulled engine out on a Harbor Freight Dolly. Bolted everything to his new k-member rolled it back under and lowered car back on it.

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
We put the 6.0l in my 98 Camaro from the top. We had to extend the arm out all the way and drill new holes but the Harbor Freight engine lift worked just fine. Never took the hood off. Used a regular carb lift plate and modified it to bolt to the lifter valley on the LS.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 732 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post