DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alcohol carb question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol carb question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted
With floats set in center of sight glass and I set the pro stage bring the car up to 25-2600 to bump in the car starts pulling fuel out of the boosters and flooding the car. If I lower floats to the bottom of the sight glass it won’t start pulling fuel through the boosters until 3200 rpm. I know I can put larger high speed bleeds in and fix this. My question is this. If it will run with the lower float level should I just lower and leave the air bleeds as they came with the carb or am I bandaiding the issue and just need to raise hi speed bleeds. Just trying not to mess up the calibration put in by carb company. I’m running an APD belt pump and there bypass with the fuel pressure at idle 3 lbs and 6.7 lbs at the finish line and the carb is a 4150 with down leg boosters.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Turn the rpm down to about 2000 rpm or less will also fix your issue.

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I tried that and it does fix the issue. But it takes longer than I like to bump in and I have to take larger bumps. 2500 is high enough to take small fast bumps to stage. Just seems like a low rpm to start pulling fuel

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Carb has 28 high speed bleeds

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted September 26, 2018 06:41 PM Hide Post
Carb has 28 high speed bleeds

try .031 ,and then check for overall rich or lean.may have to go bigger on jet after air bleed change

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1397 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted Hide Post
G,day,
I had the same issues,
My two cents is keep the tuneup the same initially.
Float height needs to be set with the bowls off and upside down, set the float height then reinstall them and don't touch them!
I found that depending on what rpm i wanted to stage at i backed the primary throttle adjustment back a bit and opened the rear a bit so that for a given rpm i had the primarys not as far open so the pulling fuel through the booster issue was ok, you just need to play a bit.
Leave the bleeds alone unless you have a data logger and can see a trend of it swinging either lean or rich through a gear and correct it then.
Depending on how much hp you have and what needle and seats you have you may need a mick hair more fuel pressure.
Cheers

Posts: 38 | Location: gracemere, qld, Australia | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Hadn't thought about that Paul, I'll try that tonight and see if it works

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Paul closing the pri and opening the sec up some fixed it. 2500 and no fuel coming out of the boosters with floats set half way up the sight glass and car still jumps right up on the converter

DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted Hide Post
That's good mate! just keep the dry float setting in the back of your mind.
Cheers

Posts: 38 | Location: gracemere, qld, Australia | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Dilley:
G,day,
I had the same issues,
My two cents is keep the tuneup the same initially.
Float height needs to be set with the bowls off and upside down, set the float height then reinstall them and don't touch them!
I found that depending on what rpm i wanted to stage at i backed the primary throttle adjustment back a bit and opened the rear a bit so that for a given rpm i had the primarys not as far open so the pulling fuel through the booster issue was ok, you just need to play a bit.
Leave the bleeds alone unless you have a data logger and can see a trend of it swinging either lean or rich through a gear and correct it then.
Depending on how much hp you have and what needle and seats you have you may need a mick hair more fuel pressure.
Cheers

Obviously excellent advise right here!

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post