DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    M/T Pro Bracket Radial tire pressure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M/T Pro Bracket Radial tire pressure
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted
First attempt at using radials, and also have never run a small tire anything. What ballpark tire pressure would be a good starting point on these 28x10.5 PBR’s on a 3300+ lb ladder bar car. 6.30’s expected et. And for those running radials any pressure difference between footbrake and transbrake launches?

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've tried 15-20 psi with no difference. My car is a little heavier and a lot slower though. Most end up in the same range.

Posts: 26 | Location: TEXAS...waiting to secede! | Registered: December 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
When I switched to radials a while back, I was told to run around 20 psi or so. make a pass and check tires wear pattern. Keep lowering pressure until you get a wear pattern across the entire width of tire, or as close to it as you can get. I believe I ended up around 15 or so. Been 5 years though so my memory isn't that great. I'll have to re-learn it once i'm back together this season.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 106 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I ran Hoosier 30 10 15 radial 17psi on a 67 Camaro running low 6:70s slapper bars best tire I used on that car

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, Guess we’ll give them a shot probably start around 18 and see what happens.

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Never less than 16 here.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1638 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
We run 20 with no problem. 6.50's at 3400 lbs

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
28"x 9" PBR on 8" rim 18 to 19 lbs.
Light to medium burnouts....got approx 400 runs out of them footbraking with very even wear.

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Weather permitting we’ll give it a shot Friday night. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and all of the little issues i’ve found just checking over this car have been corrected.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Stephen Hughes,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
3700 pounds, ladder bars/coilovers, glide, 29.5/10.5 PBRs on 8” wheels. Run 18-19 psi most of the time. The harder I hit them, the better they seem to work.
Good luck!

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
More so than tire pressure is to watch your wheel speed at launch

65 Malibu
3150#
9"
4L65
LS3 Full steel car.

Posts: 50 | Location: Fallbrook | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Finally got a chance to test the Malibu and initial test runs at 18 psi ran a 6.29 with a 1.338 60’ leaving at 2800 rpm off of the trans brake. It only ran 105 but it ran out of gear and was hitting the chip in the lights. Engine’s peak power was at 6200 and high side is set at 7100. Gonna make a step down in gear ratio, but all in all I was pretty impressed with these 28 x 10.5 Pro Bracket Radials.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Stephen Hughes,

<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by grpweld,a.k.a. your huckleberry:
More so than tire pressure is to watch your wheel speed at launch

There is no wheel speed when using the radial, they must dead hook or they will go up in smoke and not recover.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post