DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shifting on time and Elite Mega Panel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shifting on time and Elite Mega Panel
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted
Just curious how to get my car to shift on time using the Mega Wiring Panel. So my system is Dedenbear Delay Box used as my sift time control, wire from box goes to shift time terminal on mega panel. RPM shift controlled by GRID and wire goes to RPM shift terminal on Mega Panel. My set up currently has the toggle switch on dash (pink wire) to select between time or rpm shift. I have a Biondo Electric shift solenoid.

Now everything seems to be fine when shifting on RPM but when I try to shift on time thats when the issues come in. If i flip my toggle switch to shift on time it immediately activates my shift solenoid. Same happens even when I try different scenarios on the Mega Panels dip switches.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s the dip switch settings and wiring

Shift Output Control Switch set to N.O. RPM input selector switch to ground (Grid) and TIME input selector switch to +12v (Dedenbear).

Yellow wire from Grid to RPM screw terminal, +12v Shift wire from Dedenbear to TIME screw terminal. Select terminal to +12v toggle switch.

What model Dedenbear are you using ? Which Dedenbear terminal goes to Mega Panel Time terminal ? In Setup Shifter Type select AIR , for Electric Hi Amp Draw Push type Solenoid.

If it now doesn’t work try this…. disconnect the wire from Dedenbear to Time screw terminal and activate the Select Toggle Switch to select Time… What happens ??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Your Biondo electric shift solenoid is normally closed which means it requires +12V to stay "****ed" ( Link to directions) and it removes power to trigger a shift. So your RPM shift through the grid is apparently wired correctly, but it sounds like the Dedenbear is set up as normally open, no voltage usually but it would apply +12V to trigger a shift. I'm not familiar with the Dedenbear delay box, but on my MEGA 450 you can change the shift output from normally open to normally closed.

Confirm it with a volt meter first - check for 12V at your shifter terminal on the wiring panel when you're set up to shift on time. Then flip your switch and see what the voltage does.

EDIT: the starred out word is "c o c k e d" Just like "E d B i g l e y" is a bad word and you can't type that here either Big Grin

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
I have a Dedenbear Lightning Plus, I am running one of the STOP outputs as my shift output for time and it goes to the TIME terminal on Mega Terminal.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Da Shoe:
I have a Biondo Electric shift solenoid.

Define Biondo Electric shift solenoid ?? Spring loaded solenoid that “de-activates” to shift ? OR, High amp draw solenoid ?

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Use Dedenbear Lightening Stop B. Select 2-Stage and Linkage / Disc.

The "relay board" is doing the selection shifter type (hold N.C. / or push N.O.) and the Dedenbear needs to output a +12v signal at the desired shift time for either type shifter.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Here’s the dip switch settings and wiring

Shift Output Control Switch set to N.O. RPM input selector switch to ground (Grid) and TIME input selector switch to +12v (Dedenbear).

Yellow wire from Grid to RPM screw terminal, +12v Shift wire from Dedenbear to TIME screw terminal. Select terminal to +12v toggle switch.

What model Dedenbear are you using ? Which Dedenbear terminal goes to Mega Panel Time terminal ? In Setup Shifter Type select AIR , for Electric Hi Amp Draw Push type Solenoid.

If it now doesn’t work try this…. disconnect the wire from Dedenbear to Time screw terminal and activate the Select Toggle Switch to select Time… What happens ??

Isnt the Yellow wire on a Grid for Shift Light and Brown and White for RPM Shift? Essentially you could use the Grid to shift on RPM or time but that would require you to hook to it and make changes. So Delay box for time would be easier.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post