DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Need new starter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need new starter
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
SO After few tuner screw ups and few hard kick backs on FED its time for new starter.Only I can break the housing from few kickbacks.

Looking for a housing to replace this one and then put it on shelf as backup.

I knew a new one was going to be on list,just sooner than my plan. So who has best starter. I know going to get few different names ,but figure all input as to whats worked for others is good place to start..

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
House of Payne for me. Mark Payne best there is far as I’m concerned

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have not tried House of Payne but I have been using the Meziere TS500. It spins my 582 faster than my street caR AND IT HAS BEEN IN USE FOR 3 YEARS NOW.

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Get the Powermaster Ultra torque. I have used most of the big name starters and the Powermaster is best so far and a little more reasonably priced.

Thing is if it is kicking back you probably got other issues that need to be resolved. Low battery voltage at the starter, or fuel issue. Took me a while before I was able to get my Enderle hat injection tuned right where it would start good.

I do not know if they have the 139 tooth deal for your motor but for Chevys it is the only way to go. The diameter is the same but it has less teeth and they are larger. Motor spins faster and you will not break them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not battery,just guy squirting had to big of hole in bottle. Hey its almost impossible to flood a blower motor.Plus had issue to corect first fire up went perfect just shut off quick and didn't really let her lean out much and probably pulled fuel out of lines to go along with too big of bottle shot.Did spin it some w/fuel off just probably not enough.

Is 139 tooth already. Kickback not big deal just finding weak leaks is all.

I do have the big starter out back,but need pulley and belt with big fan to hook it to.LOL Found old starter out back and going to pull case off of it and rebuild this one. Will check into others in mean time.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
www.meziere.com talk to Jerry

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12287 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
BAd thing no matter whos starter I get I have to make a new mounting block. Oh well wanted to machine a actual billet instead of A&T engineering one anyway. Guess I will do two while at it. GOT TO HAVE SPARES especially when 99% of parts are custom anyway. LOL

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Got 3 meziere sitting on shelf....HOUSE OF PAYNE ultimate big dawg 139....no comparison

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
Got 3 meziere sitting on shelf....HOUSE OF PAYNE ultimate big dawg 139....no comparison

x2 - HOP Ultimate Big Dawg 139 rocks...the Payne family are great people also if that helps...

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Chris, Meziere’s probably have a nose block that will work with your combination.

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12287 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of popper
posted Hide Post

Posts: 229 | Location: Kingston, Illinois | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I found one of two wires at brush plate broken where its connected to magnets in casing. Looks to aluminum tab.

As much as I hate it right now looks like Payn big dawg will be best investment.About 100 bucks more than their other 139,but little over kill might not be bad thing.I hate all 450 bucks of it which is only about 1/20 th of material cost for trailer but its 1/20 th I needed to put elsewhere.

As for a a block that will work with this combo I am taking bets. Normal Hemi mounts left side in V notch in block. TFX does not have provision for starter and cutting a $5500 block,not happening. Mine is mounted lower right like chevy,except sits in recess in pan and fastened to motor plate via 1" block using 4 3/8 bolts. Has to fit behind pan rail,into pan and will lot of PIA fitment. Got to love custom stuff or just like causing oneself pain.LOL

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
Meziere. Quit throwing money away on those little Hitachi style starters everybody makes.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post