DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    cant trust anyone!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cant trust anyone!!!
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I guess im going to re phrase this as my freinds recently purchased,12 pass old,7000.00 rebuild that looks like it hasnt been apart in a decade

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jenavet,

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
When you performed the Autopsy were you able to determine the Cause of death?

What is your opinion of the motor?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Your right, you cant trust anyone these days

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
my freind didnt question what he was told about the car because...

Your friend has my sincere sympathy, but when buying a machine it can fail at anytime, especially when it's being stressed in a racing situation. I assume there was no implied warranty. If he hasn't already complained to the seller I believe I would ask him when the engine was originally built. This might give some validity to the bearing dates, opposed to just old stock. A primary cause of small business failures is insufficient funding to float the initial endeavor. Which is to say racing and "scraping" may not be mutually exclusive. I have compensated a buyer for unknown faulty equipment that I, as the seller, was not aware of at the time of sale. Hopefully your friend can negotiate an equitable solution.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The date on the bearing isn't the tell tale on the condition of the bearing. In this case you can to make exception, by how legible the date.

That thing has no significant amount of runs on it.

Look at it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sucks it blew but I agree can’t say much about dated bearings I have bearings in my basement for bbc SBC and SBC that are all probably at least ten years old and all ne in the boxes

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think there's a lot of trustworthy people.

Irregardless I'll take an engine apart I didn't build, in order to see if I can admire the work.

Post some more photo's of the engine, I'll tell ya more about this guy. So far he's got the 001 under rod bearing located correctly.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I just about can guarantee you I have boxes of new bearings in my garage that are that old.

If I was putting an engine together and some new old stock bearings fit properly I’d use them.

What broke and why is the more important question.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The date on the bearing isn't the tell tale on the condition of the bearing. In this case you can to make exception, by how legible the date.

mike
you may use 15 year old parts in your stuff...but a 12 pass old,7000.00 rebuild should have parts from the current century.i dont care how good they look

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ouch that’s just ugly

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How’s the cylinder look that that piston came out of did it split a cylinder wall and hydro lock
and break rod or just break rod and tilt the piston and peel rings off

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You know that one got rev'd up to the moon! Intake & exhaust valve touched down on pistons.

WOW!

Don't show those photo's in court, whatever ya do!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
And by the way 06 is still this century

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
And how about other bank do all those pistons have mark from valves also

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
And by the way 06 is still this century

Laughing Hard

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I find it curious that 6 and 8 have coloring and what appears to be carbon Build up where 2 and 4 seem pretty clean.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know that one got rev'd up to the moon! Intake & exhaust valve touched down on pistons

must have been the prior owners 12 passes...30 people saw this thing get driven down the track on the throttle stop

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The emerging reality in this thread

Laughing Hard

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The emerging reality in this thread

kinda like that race you lost down there in bradenton? gotta accept the facts