DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Predator 3500 Generator
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Predator 3500 Generator
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of gd31
posted
Anyone having issues using one with 16v XS charger? Tried using mine this weekend, charger will turn on but lights go out and meter never moves. Fire up old generator and charger works as normal

Posts: 600 | Location: Greenwood Indiana | Registered: November 16, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Check the breaker for that plug on the generator, and connections. I have the 8000 watt predator and it's been flawless......Have ran everything from my house to my battery charger on it...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of gd31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Check the breaker for that plug on the generator, and connections. I have the 8000 watt predator and it's been flawless......Have ran everything from my house to my battery charger on it...

It ran lights and and everything in trailer just fine on same cord and plug in. Charger was only thing acting goofy.

Posts: 600 | Location: Greenwood Indiana | Registered: November 16, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
low voltage input into the charger. Been there done that.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
I have that generator and last night ran 2 16v chargers with NO problem. Love that generator. Sold my Honda 3000 and bought the Predator

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of gd31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00 DEAD ON:
I have that generator and last night ran 2 16v chargers with NO problem. Love that generator. Sold my Honda 3000 and bought the Predator

Hmm. I'll look into mine again today then. I even borrowed another charger and theirs did the same.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00 DEAD ON:

Good generators, especially for the price.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Buy the extended warranty and let it run!

Posts: 6 | Location: Michigan | Registered: April 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Did you check voltage output of the generator?

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of gd31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:

I just tried it again in the garage and it seems to be working. Only thing I eliminated this time was the cord that plugs into front of trailer to generator. I'll try again next weekend.
Maybe outlet I was using on trailer has something going wrong.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
My XS 16v charger works okay on my Honda eu7000 but it buzzes a little bit, doesn't do that when you plug it into the wall at the shop

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We were helping a friend run his Big tire Street Outlaw car this weekend and he had just bought one. We used it all weekend running 16 v charger all the trailer lights ( LED's) and even the air compressor. I was impressed.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have one that I got for free and it works great but I will never get rid of my honda other than to buy another one. I haven't had any issues the few times I did use the Predator but I usually take my honda because it is lighter and plenty of power for me.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
whats the output voltage of the generator? we had the same thing happen when the AC was on, everything else worked fine. Ended up bumping up the voltage about 8 volts. we even tried another xs charger on it and same thing.

FYI read my sig

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gd31:
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:

I just tried it again in the garage and it seems to be working. Only thing I eliminated this time was the cord that plugs into front of trailer to generator. I'll try again next weekend.
Maybe outlet I was using on trailer has something going wrong.

A long length of small gauge extension cord may be causing a "voltage drop" between the power source and the equipment being powered.

The longer the cord, the larger the wire gauge should be to help eliminate effect of voltage drop.

Dan

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mad dog is correct.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of gd31
posted Hide Post
Using a large RV type cord to power trailer from generator then regular orange extension cord from outlet in back of trailer to charger. Worked fine with old generator using same cords.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Check voltage output of both generators would be first thing I would check and check them both no paid and under load.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Try running the orange extension cord directly from the generator outlet? I have same Predator and mine works fine even with a 50' cord, for compressor or charger. But I don't run everything through the trailer.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
Methodical approach would be to:
~check voltage of running generator with zero load
~check voltage out of cord that supplies trailer from generator before plugging into trailer
~check voltage of trailer plug (that supplies charger) being supplied by generator/cord combo

Just a matter of isolating the problem area...

PS, orange cords are usually the smallest wire gauge (14AWG) cord available, if it has any significant length to it, I recommend replacing it with a larger wire gauge (12AWG) or even larger (10AWG) if 50 to 100ft in length;
Along with the cord that supplies the trailer, you need to consider any length of wiring between it and the plug the charger is plugged into and the integrity of any/all connection points along that circuit. Connection points will/do oxidize and inhibit proper connection.

Dan

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post