DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster brake replacement pads
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster brake replacement pads
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have Strange brakes on my dragster that don't have that much life left in them. They are two piston type calipers and was wondering if there was an over the counter replacement that would fit. The set I have on there now has three holes in them but only uses the center hole to hold them in place. It's a slow dragster so just about any brand would be fine. Any suggestions? thanks

Posts: 397 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: May 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Strange 5022

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Hawk HB100J.480

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Honkytonk - Get in touch with Rick Huffman and get the good pads. They will clean up your rotors and probably last all year.
I was going thru 2 to 3 sets a year of the strange gold pads and the buildup on the rotors was bad.
One set of these lasted all year and the rotors look like new money.
I forget the name, something like carbon Loraine, not sure but he will know.

Posts: 265 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
^^^^agreed

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Recently switched to TBM pads and like them so far

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Posts: 397 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: May 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with the Ferodo pads I got from MW, my MW rotors are 9(!) years old and still going strong.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Depends if you are running 1/4 or 1/8 alot. In 1/8 mile racing with a decent shutdown you dont use the brakes alot. I now get 2 seasons out of the hawk black pads. Ive had quite a few sets although i only run 4.80-4.90’s and only 1/8. Also depends nds alot on your driving style

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rymo,

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
I run the strange 5020 gold pads on my foot and hand break in my dragster running 4.40’s

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
I've had great luck with the Ferodo pads I got from MW, my MW rotors are 9(!) years old and still going strong.....

This! My wife’s car has MW with Ferodo pads, gets about 200 1/4 mile runs going 7.50/177. The rotors are an unknown age but look great.

My car has Lamb brakes and I had trouble with the brakes for a few years. They would get the wheels super dirty and make the rotors heat crack. Was getting only 80 1/4 mile runs out of pads going 7.40s/180. Lamb said I didn’t have enough pressure st the caliper so I went to a smaller master cylinder and didn’t fix it and burned up another set of rotors.

So I put the Ferodo pads on my car and after 100 runs I have at least half the pad left, rotors look good, and very little dust on the wheels.

I think the Ferodo must be a more agressive pad than the Lamb. The Ferodo must grab the rotor right away and stop it and the Lamb must drag on the rotor creating lots of heat.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rymo:
Depends if you are running 1/4 or 1/8 alot. In 1/8 mile racing with a decent shutdown you dont use the brakes alot. I now get 2 seasons out of the hawk black pads. Ive had quite a few sets although i only run 4.80-4.90’s and only 1/8. Also depends nds alot on your driving style

I'm running almost 200 in the 1/8th, I neutral the car at the stripe and usually don't pull the chute so the brakes do get a workout.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
If you liked the Ferodos you will LOVE the pads from Rick Huffman. They work excellent and last 3 times longer...literally hundreds of passes longer.

The pads from Rick made the Strange look absolutely silly...made the switch 2 years back and have not changed pads since.

They are expensive but well worth it IMO.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
If you liked the Ferodos you will LOVE the pads from Rick Huffman. They work excellent and last 3 times longer...literally hundreds of passes longer.

The pads from Rick made the Strange look absolutely silly...made the switch 2 years back and have not changed pads since.

I have MW brakes on my deal but just curious, how do you get in touch with Rick ?
thanks

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Top, either PM him here or Facebook...I have his pads on my MW equipped American as well.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:

Were they on Flipper? Might be a little grabby if they were! Falling of chair laughing

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
They were on Flipper! Stopped them rear wheels so good it flipped!

Full Moon
Didn't think of that
Big Grin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I switched to TD I installed the Carbon Lorraine pads on my MW brakes and I have to admit, they are really good pads, not sure why there so expensive but the stop very well and dust on the wheels isnt too bad. What was really nice for me is they stop the very 1rst time I hit the brakes where the Ferodo pads take a couple of passes before they stop well

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top, either PM him here or Facebook...I have his pads on my MW equipped American as well.

No BOOK FACE for me LOL, what's his DDR name, search Rick Huffman but nothing popped up

Any phone number?

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Al I think this is the same guy...

I helped him with a generator or maybe some parts once....

They race down in Texas and I think he won at Houston this past weekend in S/ST....

http://www.acceleratedgraphics...ry&utm_campaign=Link

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post