DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Onan generator troubles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Onan generator troubles
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Last week at Columbus my 7500 Onan in my motor home would quit and kick a 11 code. sometimes it would run for a day sometimes 15 minutes. I know there are some generator experts on here. Says its an over current fault. Makes it hard when it runs for awhile. Any suggestions. 2007 Damon Tuscany motor home. Thanks for any help Jeff

Posts: 9 | Location: auto repair shop | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Now I'm not sure if it's a code 11 or a code 2. I get 2 slow blinks and then a good pause and then 2 more slow blinks and then it just keeps that up. Is that a 2 or is that an 11. thanks for any help

Posts: 9 | Location: auto repair shop | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Blinks explanation

1 blink pause 1 blink....and repeats is an Overheat shutdown

2 blinks , pause...and repeats LOW OIL PRESSURE shutdown and that sounds like what your seeing....

Check your oil level.....

3 blinks, pause and repeat means you need to......Push rocker switch to stop Once and read the secondary blink code....Will be a series of 2 separate blinks.....

Low oil pressure in a Kubota diesel like you have is not common...Those engines are mostly trouble free....

They take 3 quarts of 15-40 oil and the correct filter for your particular machine.

Many Onan's list the filter numbers right on the label near the rocker switch...Air, oil and fuel.....

Onan's store the last fault code shutdown.....and it can be retrieved usually

Push the rocker switch to stop 3 times and it should show the last fault code shutdown

Sometimes takes a few tries to make that feature work...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Rich is definitely the expert, best diagnosis every time. He has bailed me out on numerous generator issues. Thanks Rich for all your help.
Jeff good luck with yours.
Jimmy Lewis

Posts: 11 | Location: Forney,Texas | Registered: March 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jimmy...

I couldn't buy a round win this past weekend but I can still diagnose and fix Onan's... Big Grin

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Is there any way to access the oil pressure switch, like making access hole without taking case apart? Thanks Jeff

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
That's not something I would even attempt to do Jeff

On most Onan's access is very limited to the inside of the machine

It has to come out if it's a fixed mount and no way to get panels off

The O.P.S. is on the back side down low if I recall right

I'm fixing a 5.5 diesel right now and removed it to install a new oil fill pipe kit and a few other things

In a Jayco Seneca......rear side mount....Was a struggle just getting it out yesterday...

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have changed the water pump belt so I know I can get rear cover off. I wasn't sure if I could reach it or make a access panel in the plastic cover on the side

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
For anyone that want's to know, you can change oil pressure switch with back cover off

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has to come out if it's a fixed mount and no way to get panels off

Above From My previous post

If you CAN get the panels off you can do a lot without pulling the machine completely out..

Was the OP sender bad ?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I finally figure out it was a code 11 not 2. I found some lose[and burnt] wires in the switching box. luckily I found it before she burnt the motor home up.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you're saying in the Automatic Transfer Switch

A very common issue.

Almost every year I am at a race where someone's ATS fails.....and they do burn up in there pretty bad sometimes. Never saw one start a coach fire though

The usual scenario is the generator is running but no power in the MH or Truck/Trailer

I ask where their electrical equipment compartment is and can just follow the burnt electric smell....

I now carry some large connectors to bypass the switch temporarily.....

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I was able to cut and splice in wires at the track to get it working. Going to redo it this weekend.