Find
Notify
Tools

ls w/o computer
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Wondering if anyone here is running a LS engine w/o computer control. I think there is a carb conversion that can be done w/o a computer. A buddy asked me If I thought we could do one with MFI. If igniton can be done w/o computers or maybe a standalone would allow to just control ignition.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4177 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
MSD LS6 for the stand alone ignition

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You can fuel it however you like. It's just an engine. But as you and Bender said, you need a method of controlling the ignition. The msd will work, or any of the efi ecu's. I imagine the msd is simpler and cheaper. You will need coils as well. I imagine the msd uses at least the crank sensor and maybe the cam sensor as well if you don't want to run it wasted spark.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I use the 6Hemi on my bracket car. It uses the factory cam and crank sensors.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
The MSD 6014 is the simplest if you want to run with a carburetor, just swap to a carb intake and use the factory coils/plug wires etc.

You can also switch the front cover to one that will allow you to run a normal distributor and a standard MSD ignition box.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I like idea of being able to run regular distributor. Give more options.

As for intake, I have a few open plenum designs that would be easy to run MFI on.

Right now trying to get the guy to pick an attack plan and stick with it. Back and forth on noncomputer and a stand-alone for engine. Got to love folks that want to build a 8oo hp engine cheap and with very little work. Not that 800 is his target numb er.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

Posts: 4177 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had a 5.3 with a carb and a 6010 (old version of 6014 with worse software) and an edelbrock carb. It was fine for a driver.

My current race car is a blown mfi LS with a Haltech VMS ignition controller. I’d never buy another Haltech but it works fine now. I had to move to a flying magnet trigger because the Haltech wouldn’t read the 24x at high rpm

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
I run the MSD 6014 and a Holley Carb. Made 575 on the engine dyno.

You will need to spend close to $1000 or more to run a distributer on a LS.

I will be going to Holley HP EFi computer to controlled the ignition but still run the Carb for a while. For better ignition and data logging with nitrous control.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 236 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Thanks guys. I like idea of being able to run regular distributor. Give more options.

As someone who has a carburetor equipped LS I am struggling to see how a distributor gives you more options for a standard run of the mill application. A standard 6014 MSD box gives you step retard, individual timing retard, launch retard, complete control of the timing curve with a vacuum/boost port, two step rev limiter.

All for well under $500...

I can change the timing in 30 seconds but RPM rev limits probably take longer than switching out chips. In fact that is probably my one and only complaint, its harder to change your launch RPM than a 7AL3 or 6AL etc.

Also, some stock coils have more energy than the fancy MSD ones and many consinder them better overall.

You dont need aftermarket coils...

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
From what I have found on 6014 timing maps are non editable. Maybe just finidng wrong info,it was on holley site.

With distrutor I can run a choice of ignitions. I already have ERPM data logger with 3 times more money in it as I started out to spend on it and one piece to go ,fuel flow meter.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Preprogrammed maps are not, custom maps are editable.

Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NortonRacing:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

As someone who has a carburetor equipped LS I am struggling to see how a distributor gives you more options for a standard run of the mill application. A standard 6014 MSD box gives you step retard, individual timing retard, launch retard, complete control of the timing curve with a vacuum/boost port, two step rev limiter.

All for well under $500...

I can change the timing in 30 seconds but RPM rev limits probably take longer than switching out chips. In fact that is probably my one and only complaint, its harder to change your launch RPM than a 7AL3 or 6AL etc.

Also, some stock coils have more energy than the fancy MSD ones and many consinder them better overall.

You dont need aftermarket coils...

I have found that with some of the LS factory coils. Guys are making 1500 hp on the factory coils without issue. Placement is just a little tricky on some cars.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
IIRC All Star performance has a front cover for the LS that has provisions for a small block ford distributor if you so desire to go that route. Will still need a grid or something to have all the rev limits and such though.

Posts: 63 | Location: youngstown, oh | Registered: February 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be going to Holley HP EFi computer to controlled the ignition but still run the Carb for a while. For better ignition and data logging with nitrous control.

Wise Choice

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian McHattie:
IIRC All Star performance has a front cover for the LS that has provisions for a small block ford distributor if you so desire to go that route. Will still need a grid or something to have all the rev limits and such though.

So if could fins a mag base for ford you can run a mmsd mag? that would be great. Wonder if they make cam cover for pump drive off cam because then I could adpt the new mag/fuel pump drive I have coming and run same setup.

Already have grid so thats easy.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

Wise Choice

I have been recommending this to anyone willing to use a laptop. Pick an ECU, and use as much of it as you are comfortable with at first. There are advantages

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo