DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    onan 6.5 dkd run issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

onan 6.5 dkd run issues
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Have a 6.5 dkd in the moho. Two weeks ago I came back from a pass and the generator was off. Thought it was odd but it fired right back up. Ran it for 2 days off and on no problem. Last week, go to fire it up to run the microwave and the starter hung engaged...somewhat terrifiying as it was 1am but hey whatever pulled the ground off the fuel solenoid.

Figured the starter solenoid took a turn for the worse and tossed a new on and still having issues. The generator will run for about 3 seconds and die. Did some searching and found the manual. I've checked the fuel solenoid, ohms good and adjusted correctly for latching. Checked oil pressure switch, coolant switch, latching switch, circuit breaker, all test and operate as they should.

I do not have power at the hold side of the fuel solenoid. Randomly...i will, but very randomly.

I swapped in a new fuel relay for the joy of it as well.

IS there anything else i should mess with before assuming its the board and biting the bullet?

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
ere anything else i sh

I have had the fuel pump go out on mine twice. I was talking to a guy with a motorhome next to me at the track yesterday, and he said he had the same issue once.

I would check the fuel pump, if you need a new one they're about 40 bucks at O'Reilys. I believe you need the 1-3 psi, but can't remember for sure.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
this is a diesel unit. The pump runs when it has 12v. The trouble being the latching which provides 12v to the fuel solenoid/ fuel pump is intermittent at best.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post