DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    M/T tire suggestion for hardtail dragster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M/T tire suggestion for hardtail dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Yea there are a few out there, anyone have any insight to what type of tire works good with hardtail, I have a set of 3080s M/T 15x33 on it I got used for free to try. They appear to work ok but just wondered if this is the wrong tire. Car not that fast 5.30s. Local tire guy dont know much so I did not bother with them..

Posts: 22 | Location: ohio | Registered: August 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
If anyone can chime in with the M/T 3084S on a hard tail car that would be nice.. I've heard of that tire working on suspended cars, but would like to know if anyone has tried this tire on a hard tail/slip joint?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I run the 3080 on my hardtail car going 4.80s. When I had a small block I ran the 3074.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Not exactly apples to apples here but I run a front engine dragster hard tail. I am running same 3074 tire (14x32) tire that worked great on my 4 link altered and it just does not work as good on the dragster. The tire is crush, bounce, spin, bounce. So was told it needs a stiff sidewall tire. I put tubes in there to stiffen the sidewalls up and verify it was going in the right direction and it helped but did not eliminate it. So I would think yours being a hard tail would be better off with the stiff sidewall tire to.

That right there is one of the three advantages of a 4 link car. 1. Tire selection is much more forgiving. 2. Chassis is stiffer and the suspension is used to absorb rough tracks making the 4 link much easier to stop.
3. Resale value.

With that said when you do get the right tire selection for your hard tail they will hook up and work good. Just a little harder to do.

With your car running 5.30 you do not need a 15x33 tire in fact you do not even need a 14x32 but I would suggest the stiff sidewall tire.

Hope my experience helps you with your tire selection.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4006 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We tried the 15x33 on our Small Block slip joint hard tail and it rattled hard and slowed up a bunch. We were testing with M/T at Norwalk...they kept having me go up in air and it never got better. Then they told me I didn’t have enough power for that tire...so I tuned on the bottle and it was even worse. I put my 33x10.5 back on with the bottle and went .985 60’ and 4.29 out the back.

We run 4.60-70 on motor! I’m the odd ball that will push you towards a 10.5 tire!!

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
And I would like to try a smaller tire but do not want to throw money away if it does not work.
That 33x10.5 what brand, what compound? Stiff sidewall? What air pressure you run?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4006 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
And I would like to try a smaller tire but do not want to throw money away if it does not work.
That 33x10.5 what brand, what compound? Stiff sidewall? What air pressure you run?

M/T 33x10.5W. There’s only 1. 7psi

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Curly I tried the Mickey 10.5x31 on my FED and did not like them ! They are very heavy 33lbs and do not plant at the hit ! They are very smooth but also slow ! I lost a tenth in the eighth and 2 tenths in the 1/4 with that tire !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a set of the 14.5 32 mt. They’ve got 11 passes on them. My car does not have enough power to make them work like I want. I paid 650 something for them new from summit and I’ll take 450 for them, and split the shipping. They should work good on decent powered car.

Posts: 31 | Location: arkansas | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill masiello:
quote:
Curly I tried the Mickey 10.5x31 on my FED and did not like them ! They are very heavy 33lbs and do not plant at the hit ! They are very smooth but also slow ! I lost a tenth in the eighth and 2 tenths in the 1/4 with that tire !

And that is the kind of information that I am looking for. The Front Engine dragster is a different animal than all others. And even most front engine dragsters are not same as each other. The longer wheelbase ones are usually much more flexible and that changes how they hit the tire on the launch. Also weight distribution varies a lot. Seen some with 300 lbs. on the front wheels and some with 500 or more. Now lets throw in another curve how much power it takes to make the tire work. I find that engine angle makes a big difference on how the tires work. So you just can not say buy XX tire and be done with it like you can on many door cars or 4 link Rear Engine Dragsters.

Sorry about side tracking original thread I just wanted to let you know that a hard tail can work but tire selection is more critical and less forgiving. You just can not change shock dampening to make it work.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
I am going to try a pair of M+H tires on my car in a couple of weeks ! They are a 12x33 tire with a soft sidewall ! I will post my results after I run them ! Curly What gear ratio is your low gear ? When I went from a 1.80 to a 1.69 it made a huge difference ! Made the car smoother and it picked up a little as well ! You may not have a tire problem !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have 1.80 gears in transmission and 4.30 rear gear.
Please let me know how those slicks work out for you. On mine I had the regular sidewalls and it had issues bounce, spin, bounce spin. Put tubes in it to stiffen it up and that helped a lot. So my next move is to try the stiff sidewall.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
FWIW I run the MT 3074S on my hardtail. I had the 3084S on it when I got the car.The previous owner had a little more horsepower than I am producing, he was running mid 4.90s to low 5.0s.(he had a 565" and I have a 468") I started running 5.30s and all over the place on my time slips. After a lot of testing and changing gearing I settled on the 3074s with a 456 gear. Car runs 5.0s now and is predictable enough to win races(until the thermometer hits 50 degrees lol) most hardtails I've run across use a stiff sidewall.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post