DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    SLE operation question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SLE operation question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
I tried using my Biondo throttle linkage SLE and the car stumbled at the hit. The SLE released at the same time the brake released. I see that there's a setting in the box that releases the SLE .8 before the brake. That seems like a long time for the throttle to be wide open before the brake releases. I've got the SLE set at 2800 with the button pushed and the pedal on the floor. Is the .8 setting where I need to be?

Posts: 458 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Good starting point.
That is where mine is set.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I run mine at 1.1 which is .030-.040 less than my delay.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 463 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you both can choose release time. I don't see where my box allows me options on the release time.

Posts: 458 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
pretty sure Biondo box allows changes to setting,I know K&R does not. Alot here see no problem with time throttle is wide open.I am not one of them.It works for those folks.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4174 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I have a K&R box. It goes on the 2 step the same every time.

Back in the day, before we had SLE's, we would go on the 2 step for the whole spot when racing a slower car. Never hurt anything doing it.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 736 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Mine releases as soon as I let go of the button when I see the top bulb come on. Engine goes to WOT on the 2 step for the amount of time I have set in the delay box then the transbrake releases.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1351 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
I have mine set to 1.050 seconds, with my delay being lower 1.100's. It gets to the chip quicker than if I did it by foot, and I have big heads on a small cubic inch motor so I try to get everything spinning as quick as I can to help build vacuum etc. The best part is when I'm usually dialed 4.80 something, and I have to run a slow door car it still comes up to the chip the same time as if I was making a time trial. I have a dedenbear lightning box if that helps.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I wanted to use the SLE to eliminate bottom end damage caused by the 2 step but if nothing suffers, maybe I should try the 2 step. I'd wanna leave lower than most, like I was footbraking.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
I wanted to use the SLE to eliminate bottom end damage caused by the 2 step but if nothing suffers, maybe I should try the 2 step. I'd wanna leave lower than most, like I was footbraking.

Well the nice thing about using a SLE is how you can control the throttle. When I push my bump button, the pedal falls to the floor. As soon as I'm staged, transbrake button is pressed and transbrake is on, throttle pedal is still pushed to the floor and I'm sitting at an idle. I can wait as long as I want for my opponent to stage. All I'm concerned about is watching that top bulb. Engine isn't bouncing off the 2 step etc. As soon as I see that flicker of light from the top bulb, transbrake button is released, engine comes up on the 2 step and delay box starts counting down to release the transbrake.

Far better than sitting there for 10+ seconds on the 2 step waiting for your opponent to get ready. That short amount of time on the 2 step isn't going to cause any issues. I'd have to go look at my timer. I think I have 1.045 in the box.

I tried a pro tree a couple of times. My old delay box doesn't work very well with a SLE and a pro tree. For me it's better to just turn off the delay and SLE and just release the transbrake while on the 2 step when the tree lights up. SLE is great for a full tree where you have some time to get the throttle up to launch rpm. My box allows 2 transbrake buttons. The first goes through the delay. The second has no delay so for a Pro tree. I just use the second button instead of changing the delay in the box. Technically, I could use both buttons on a full tree. Release the first button on the top bulb and if I think I was too slow, hit the second button and release it on the bottom bulb. Never tried it but it's an option.

There are so many times I wonder if just footbraking would be so much easier. You can screw up just as easy with electronics.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlkyIROC:
quote:

Well the nice thing about using a SLE is how you can control the throttle. When I push my bump button, the pedal falls to the floor. As soon as I'm staged, transbrake button is pressed and transbrake is on, throttle pedal is still pushed to the floor and I'm sitting at an idle. I can wait as long as I want for my opponent to stage. All I'm concerned about is watching that top bulb. Engine isn't bouncing off the 2 step etc. As soon as I see that flicker of light from the top bulb, transbrake button is released, engine comes up on the 2 step and delay box starts counting down to release the transbrake.

Far better than sitting there for 10+ seconds on the 2 step waiting for your opponent to get ready. That short amount of time on the 2 step isn't going to cause any issues. I'd have to go look at my timer. I think I have 1.045 in the box.

I tried a pro tree a couple of times. My old delay box doesn't work very well with a SLE and a pro tree. For me it's better to just turn off the delay and SLE and just release the transbrake while on the 2 step when the tree lights up. SLE is great for a full tree where you have some time to get the throttle up to launch rpm. My box allows 2 transbrake buttons. The first goes through the delay. The second has no delay so for a Pro tree. I just use the second button instead of changing the delay in the box. Technically, I could use both buttons on a full tree. Release the first button on the top bulb and if I think I was too slow, hit the second button and release it on the bottom bulb. Never tried it but it's an option.

There are so many times I wonder if just footbraking would be so much easier. You can screw up just as easy with electronics.

In case you couldn't tell, I've never run with a box before. It was my understanding that I could use this SLE and not have to use a 2 step at all but as usual, it seems that I misunderstood.
So the early release of the SLE is to limit the time on the 2 step to .8 in my case, right? I just have to set the 2 step to what ever launch rpm I want and go from there.

My problem with footbraking is that my rt's are not consistent. My grouping will be good for a week or two and then be bad for three weeks. I'm better when I practice top bulb.

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AlkyIROC:
quote:

In case you couldn't tell, I've never run with a box before. It was my understanding that I could use this SLE and not have to use a 2 step at all but as usual, it seems that I misunderstood.
So the early release of the SLE is to limit the time on the 2 step to .8 in my case, right? I just have to set the 2 step to what ever launch rpm I want and go from there.

My problem with footbraking is that my rt's are not consistent. My grouping will be good for a week or two and then be bad for three weeks. I'm better when I practice top bulb.

I don't see why you couldn't use the SLE to limit rpm to your launch rpm.. I'm not sure how you would set it up, but I'd imagine it could be done..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I've used the SLE to set launch rpm but the car stumbles a little before going. It acts fat and the Racepak confirms that. I only made one run with it and it was set to release at the same time as the brake.

DRR Trophy
Picture of fast5982
posted Hide Post
1.1 is my number for SLE also. But nothing in my throttle linkage a $2 LED is my SLE. When i hit the TB button an LED on my dash lights. 1.1 seconds before TB releases the light goes out(my signal to mat the gas).

Posts: 7 | Location: Dubuque, IA | Registered: April 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used the SLE to set launch rpm but the car stumbles a little before going. It acts fat and the Racepak confirms that. I only made one run with it and it was set to release at the same time as the brake.

Adjust the SLE RPM upward some so it isn’t coming from dead idle and/or slow the throttle opening rate a little bit with a needle valve.

With that said, .800 on the 2-step is nothing. I use 1.0 just because it sounds more like it did pre-SLE.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

Adjust the SLE RPM upward some so it isn’t coming from dead idle and/or slow the throttle opening rate a little bit with a needle valve.

With that said, .800 on the 2-step is nothing. I use 1.0 just because it sounds more like it did pre-SLE.

Tony, I've got the SLE set to 2800 but I've thought about the needle valve deal. I never of others having tuning issues when going to a brake. I thought about lowering the rpm to make it more like my footbrake launch. This car leaves well from 2400-2900 so I'm not really sure what the stumble is all about. I gotta get it out to test. I've been using a different carb linkage for footbrake and I found that the SLE linkage wasn't opening all the way at WOT, so maybe that's the issue.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you just need to go up or down on rpm and set release of sle to just before trans release.

Posts: 20 | Location: Michie,Tn. | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just use it as an air throttle, add .8 to your delay. Set it to your preferred staging RPM and bump in.
See light, let go button, get banana. It's easy. Big Grin

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1615 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post