DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Powerglide Rooster Comb
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powerglide Rooster Comb
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Is dropping the valve body required and/or recommended to replace rooster comb on a powerglide? I believe mine is cracked draining and pulling pan tonight parts arriving Wednesday. Watched a video that valve body was in place but have heard mixed messages on dropping valve body that it makes it easier with it out.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
No need to remove the valve body

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have atleast 6-8" to be able to pull the shift arm out, otherwise you will be dropping the transmission.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Good point on length I'll check that straight away. I think removing header will give me room to move.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Getting shaft out is going to be an issue. Couple options however if I do remove the valve body is there room to just replace the comb over the shaft or does the shaft have to come out? I appreciate the advice gentlemen. Thank you.

BG

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If the rooster fits the flats on the shaft thats in your trans there is no need to completly remove the shaft but you will still need to slide it out a couple of inches.If it does not then you will have to replace the shaft. Still no reason to remove the VB

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
10-4. I'll dig in.

BG

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
But if you need to replace the seal naturally it will have to come out..

As a tip, if you have a need to replace the shift shaft seal. If room allows install 2 seals instead of one.

I've had issues in the past where the shift shaft would leak even after replacing the seal. Since using 2 seals I've had no issue,
Food for thought.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
But if you need to replace the seal naturally it will have to come out..

As a tip, if you have a need to replace the shift shaft seal. If room allows install 2 seals instead of one.

I've had issues in the past where the shift shaft would leak even after replacing the seal. Since using 2 seals I've had no issue,
Food for thought.

Dave

Thanks!

BG