DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Rear end pop dragster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear end pop dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Almost embarrassed to ask but I just can't seem to identify a noise. When pushing the dragster straight, no noise. But this season since putting a new style of brake on the dragster, when turning sharp and pushing, there is a notable pop, it seems like from both sides. Not at the same time. From the rear end, maybe brakes. I just can't seem to find it. It's unnerving at very least.
Anyone have this or know of the source?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Does it have an x link or a wishbone?

My wife’s Miller car has an x link that floats over the bottom bars. When pushing the car and turning it sometimes it’ll “pop” and I identified it as the bar(s) shifting inside the x link.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
On most dragster you can put on stands an at least look at gear thru oil fill hole…

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Does it have an x link or a wishbone?

My wife’s Miller car has an x link that floats over the bottom bars. When pushing the car and turning it sometimes it’ll “pop” and I identified it as the bar(s) shifting inside the x link.

Wishbone. I need to employ others to do the pushing so I can get a closer listen.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
On most dragster you can put on stands an at least look at gear thru oil fill hole…

The noise does not seem to be from the gear or internals. (should have mentioned this in my original post) It is almost certainly outside the housing....I think.

And I can't replicate it on stands. Has to be on the ground sharp turning.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
what about the anti roll bar...check the pivot points? I know some manufacturers put grease fittings in them and others dont.ive seen where they hang up and also the heims on the small adjustable rods ive seen pop when turning hard

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Make sure the lug nuts are tight.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
Check torque on the bolts holding the wheel centers to the wheel. Check lugnuts, check all the bolts on housing to 4 link brackets if its a strange aluminum housing.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I know it makes no sense but I had an universal go bad on the rear end side and I had a pop but only when I would turn. I wasn't even checking for that but when I pulled the driveshaft out 1 of the cups fell off and the inside of the universal had became egg shaped. No clue why it didn't make a noise going straight since the 4 link should keep everything the same but it did.

Posts: 60 | Location: N.C | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Tried to recreate it in the shop and could not. The heims are dry, so it is time to clean and lubricate soon. The wishbone center has a little movement, but not unusual, and not really the noise I hear. Will take wheels off tonight and look at the new rotors and see if there is any wittnessing. Lugs, wheel nuts, beadlocks all properly torqued. First year for me on the floating rotors, so maybe it's something about them.
Thank you to all!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
disc brake pads moving in caliper

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
disc brake pads moving in caliper

This is a possibility and near where it sounds like the sound comes from.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
Check torque on the bolts holding the wheel centers to the wheel. Check lugnuts, check all the bolts on housing to 4 link brackets if its a strange aluminum housing.

The bolts holding the wheel together all moved some. More than I would have thought. Don't know what torque they started at but they are all tight now. And 3/4 of the way through the second wheel.....POP. It made the noise just sitting there. So I know it was that.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Wow! Glad you found it before you had a big problem!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Wow! Glad you found it before you had a big problem!

I wouldn't have thought it was the wheels by the noise.
And they weren't what I would call loose. But it sure was a welcome sound when they torqued all the way up. I'm sure it wasn't going to be a good thing long term!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Good find clapping

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:

The bolts holding the wheel together all moved some. More than I would have thought. Don't know what torque they started at but they are all tight now. And 3/4 of the way through the second wheel.....POP. It made the noise just sitting there. So I know it was that.

I had the same issue years ago and somebody suggested that to me. I stuck a socket on there and got a little bit out of all of them. Popping went away. I would never hear it in the car, even coasting with engine off and turning, but pushing the car soon as I would turn it would do it. Come to think of it, i need to check those again while the car is apart just for peace of mind!

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I have always checked the rear Magnums 2.0.
25 ft/lbs, Star torque pattern and a drop of red Loctite. Yes some were slightly loose. The centers are expensive.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Mickey Thompson Pro 5's......No center to come loose, one piece!!!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bucky great catch and thanks for posting/asking as this could get others (like me) to think about their wheels. Also it gave Stephen Hughs a chance to express his experience and also TD3550. This turned in to an informative post that could save someone a whole bunch of trouble. Thanks

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post