DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    trailer floor doors....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

trailer floor doors....
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
I'd like to put a couple of storage compartments in the floor of my trailer.
Anybody know who sells a well and door kit? Or just the door?
Tired of tripping over the trailer spare tire and could use an extra storage space also.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Be strategic where you put them, as you don’t want to have unload the car to change a flat, because you can’t get to the spare.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Most trailers have the crossmembers 16" on center, that doesn't leave enough room a floor compartment large enough to fit a spare tire. You would have to remove/relocate a crossmember to add a compartment big enough, keep that in mind...…………………….

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
i have a 26ft haulmark with floor storage, its located in front of where the car sits. its big enough that i have 19.5 tire in there

Posts: 42 | Location: HOLLEY,NY,USA | Registered: September 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Most trailers have the crossmembers 16" on center, that doesn't leave enough room a floor compartment large enough to fit a spare tire. You would have to remove/relocate a crossmember to add a compartment big enough, keep that in mind...…………………….

Correct!

I have two compartments in the floor of my Gooseneck trailer. I can not get to either of them without rolling that car back 4 feet. That's ok, I keep one up in the loft area. The other two are for a REAL emergency! They did have to do some extra bracing when they built it though. Bought it new from Pace with both compartments installed by them.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
I'd like to put a couple of storage compartments in the floor of my trailer.
Anybody know who sells a well and door kit? Or just the door?
Tired of tripping over the trailer spare tire and could use an extra storage space also.

This..

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I have a mount on the frt. of the trailer above my generator for a spare. I mount the other one to the wall of the trailer just inside the side door. I have considered using a mount with a crank up cable like under a pickup. You could mount it most anywhere and crank it down when needed.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have my spare on the wall at the back of the trailer. Use the floor compartment for other stuff. It would wortless for a spare since the car is on top of it and would have to move the car to get the spare out.
As Bender said most likley you will have to relocate a frame rail and box it in. I dont see floor storage compartment as something you could buy, most likely yoill have to custom make it

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Eman, I really like the cable cranking up idea.

Steve, I've come to the conclusion I'm going to have to do this myself if I want it bad enough. Remove a section of frame channel and boxing it back in should be fairly simple. I just cut out a piece of the floor in the correct location and cut/weld as needed to set a box. Then use the cut out piece to make a removable panel or door.

Dave

F J B

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Make sure that your spare will drop into a box that fits between the crossmembers if you remove 1. My trailer has 16" wheels and they might not fit. Besides lifting that tire out of that hole by myself doesn't sound like fun.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post