DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fram Racing Oil Filter ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fram Racing Oil Filter ?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Fram Racing Oil Filter ?

I’ve seen several engines with Fram Racing oil filters and wonder if anyone here uses them and has an opinion on them.

I was looking at the racing filter internal components and SPECIFICATIONS on their website and thought it looked good and am considering trying.

I'm using Wix 51061 now and need more filters.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Its not fram but rock auto has the 51061r filters for 6.84 each. I just bought 10 last month.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I ran them for years before all the talk got me a little nervous. I had an oil pressure issue which turned out to be something else but never went back.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use the Fram HP4 Racing filter never a issue I also use KN AND WIX

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've stuck with WIX, buy from Filter 1.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Their racing filters are good, used them for years with no issues.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I use Moroso or Wix. I'm sure Fram racing filters are better than the passenger car line, but I wouldn't put a Fram oil filter on my lawn mower.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
I use Moroso or Wix. I'm sure Fram racing filters are better than the passenger car line, but I wouldn't put a Fram oil filter on my lawn mower.

This is roughly my stance on Fram. I usually throw a Fram on for winter with some 5W-30 if the engine isn't coming out. They are cheap and I know the engine won't be run for more than a minute with it on there.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Billy, a numbers of years back I did see some who used the regular filters have oil pressure issues but not with the racing stuff. I have used them forever with no issues.

Wix are also very good which I believe is the same as Napa Gold filters.

Does your lawn mower even have a filter? LOL

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
I've stuck with WIX, buy from Filter 1.

Me too! I think they had free shipping on over $100 total order, bought a bunch of filters for all my cars and trucks through them.

Fram had an issue years ago with them collapsing internally and blocking oil flow, cost several engines.

If the OP is using WIX now, stick with them!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Billy, a numbers of years back I did see some who used the regular filters have oil pressure issues but not with the racing stuff. I have used them forever with no issues.

As a matter of fact it does, I believe there is currently a Purolator on the old John Deere STX38 right now!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

As a matter of fact it does, I believe there is currently a Purolator on the old John Deere STX38 right now!

Whoa! High society mower! Nice Big Grin

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had one fram racing filter collapse in my dragster and I'll never use one again. I lost a lifter shortly after it happened and it eventually cost me the engine. I know of several people that have used them without issues for over 25 years, but I'm not that lucky. I'll stick with the wix filters.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bubbletop409
posted Hide Post
Wix also offers a large 1+ quart racing filter under part # 51794R

Larry
62 Bel-Air 409
79 Cole TR-2 SunsetRaceCraft 565 RIP TRACY
260 Eliminator Eagle XP HP500EFI
NO MO BOMA
WELL DONE USN SEAL TEAM 6
Proud Deplorable

Posts: 60 | Location: Castro Valley, CA State of Insanity | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Throw away the paper filters and go with http://kandpengineering.com

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run TWO of the Fram PH 373 extra tall truck type filters on my race car. The dual filter mount is not in a series so the oil only has to go through one filter and not both.
Now I did that because the street type filters have a finer filtration with the dual type there is a huge filter surface area so there is little to no restriction. My peak oil pressure is 60 or so, very clean oil and no restrictions.
The race type filters all of them do not remove the really small particles.
I bought the Fram PH 373 from Rock Auto for like $3 each. (You read that right around $3 each) I bought about 30. Yes I would have preferred the Wix brand as I think the Wix is probably best right now but they were much more expensive.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3985 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I had a Fram racing filter collapse the inner core with thin 10W30 oil. That was maybe 12-15 years ago, and I still have not/will not put one on anything I own.
quote:
Originally posted by Bubbletop409:
Wix also offers a large 1+ quart racing filter under part # 51794R

Yep. 1.5 Qt extra long filter. Because the surface area is so large in it, I have actually switched this year to the 'non-R' version, it has finer filtration to catch the smaller particles, and still no restriction because of it's size. (Similar principle to what Curly said just above).
The Napa version (made by Wix) is P/N 1794.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post