DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Meziere Water Pumps
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meziere Water Pumps
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I have had a Meziere 42 GPM water pump on my N/A sbc forever & our home track is Las Vegas, NV. In the heat of the summer when getting to the pit the car would reach 180* max.

Now that I'm supercharged in the heat of the summer with no changes to the cooling system, I'm at 190* - 195* when returning to the pits. It also seems to take a little longer to get the temp down when returning.

I'm considering changing to the Meziere 55 GPM pump for better cooling. I know more isn't always better when dealing with GPM. They do recommend this pump for supercharged, turbocharged & high compression engines. What do you guys think about the change?

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Some are going to disagree with me, but you can't circulate water too fast in a cooling system....also, a t stat isn't there to improve cooling, it's there to keep the engine at a predetermined temp, and are not needed for most racing applications.....I run one because it's so hard for me to build and maintain heat in the engine since I'm on methanol. The old wives tale that it keeps water in the radiator longer to cool it better is total bs, because it's also keeping water in the block longer picking up heat.....However, I'd also look at the size of your radiator, because system capacity is a big deal on cooling. Too small of a radiator won't transfer enough heat to the atmosphere....perhaps a larger radiator with your current pump might be the ticket....but then again, I wouldn't worry that much about that temp unless it continues to rise and won't cool back down....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ Coloradoracer knows.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I run a small radiator. It's a 17"x19" core. Brodix half fill 2000C block. I just bought a triple pass radiator the same size to replace my old one. They claim 15% better cooling. The water will still flow the same speed in the block but have to zig zag through the radiator. Will it help? I guess I'll find out in a few weeks at the first race.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I agree with most everything Coloradoracer said and I also run a thermostat. I run one to help build heat in motor faster (I run alcohol) and help keep temperature at desired temp. Also agree that an electric water pump simply can not move water too fast. Maybe a mechanical pump but not an electric one my opinion.

Now I do run a Maziere remote pump so I have drilled 4 - 1/8" holes around thermostat to let air escape and always keep some water moving.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would add that I have a thermostat on my fan and have it set to kick on when it gets hot enough.

Now I usually do not turn it on unless I am dealing with an idiot that will not stage and wants to play silly little games. Then I relax, flip the fan switch on and let him get stupid. They can go full retard for all I care I am not going to overheat and will still be in my temp range. They do those things to get to you and get you out of your game plan so be prepared and do not let them get to you.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlueTruck:
I run a small radiator. It's a 17"x19" core. Brodix half fill 2000C block. I just bought a triple pass radiator the same size to replace my old one. They claim 15% better cooling. The water will still flow the same speed in the block but have to zig zag through the radiator. Will it help? I guess I'll find out in a few weeks at the first race.

I've been looking at the triple pass radiator. It would be interesting to hear your results.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlueTruck:

I've been looking at the triple pass radiator. It would be interesting to hear your results.

2BKING Smile

Just a thought but wouldn’t a triple pass radiator or same do ensionhave same cooling capacity as a single or double pass? Just thinking you have the same amount of cooling area so the only difference is water is moving slower through the tubes in a single oass than say double pass so it can cool just as much.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
For the most part speed of water moving through radiator is determined by the water pump and thermostat if you run one.

More surface area and water volume in radiator will help cooling efficiency.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I'll change to the 55 GPM pump, but will talk with Meziere to get a recommendation. Wink

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Only time i ran a T stat was in the early 80's with Crower stack injection on alky. Even with the t stat on a good day it was 145 tops. Change the procedure up a little bit if you can. Go in the water at a lower temp. I never believed the t stat theory either. Proper radiator sizing. I don't drive mine back. Waist of fuel

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
Confirm the pump is working, and fatten up the idle circuit. Also 190 to 195 isn't really HOT imo, it's warm.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
For the most part speed of water moving through radiator is determined by the water pump and thermostat if you run one.

More surface area and water volume in radiator will help cooling efficiency.
when you change to a triple pass the same size as a single pass the speed of the water through the tubes will increase proportionately to the reduction in parallel paths for water to flow. All you have done was basically create three smaller paths for water to flow that are three times as long.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
We do not recommend triple pass rads with electric pump. Just to restrictive. If you are using -12 coolant lines steping up to larger lines and ports will help flow more coolant. And yes the more flow the more coolant going through the rad the quicker it will cool down.

#1 issue racers have with thier cooling system is AIR in the system.
Call and talk with me or Don Meziere before you buy another pump.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1leg:
We do not recommend triple pass rads with electric pump. Just to restrictive. If you are using -12 coolant lines steping up to larger lines and ports will help flow more coolant. And yes the more flow the more coolant going through the rad the quicker it will cool down.

#1 issue racers have with thier cooling system is AIR in the system.
Call and talk with me or Don Meziere before you buy another pump.

Thanks 1leg! Your name is Jerry, right?

I'll call this coming week.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
1leg = Jerry

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
1leg = Jerry

Bob

Thanks Bob!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
1leg = Jerry

Bob

Thanks Bob!

Bob is right!

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Big thanks to 1leg (Jerry at Meziere Tech) for the informative phone conversation this afternoon. We are holding off on the 55 GPM pump for now. He did recommend installing a recovery tank to replace my catch can. I'm working on finding the one I want & fit with minimal fabrication.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Trophy
Picture of 69dart
posted Hide Post
Thats really not that HOT - the engine need to get to at least 190 to burn the yuck out of the oil.

Posts: 27 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post