New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 years since
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
since Tracy Dennis announced the "game changer" SR20 heads. So what's the latest and greatest using these 20 degree heads, who has what, how many cubes, built by who, making how much HP and running what in a pipe rack at what weight?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If I had to, I would call par or sdpc. Par engines seem to be fast, but Britt Cummings has one from sdpc I believe that runs in the 450 range which is about as fast as I would want to go.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
PAR has their own 20 degree port they are putting in bare castings that seem to do better than the sr20 head. they call it elite 20. he sells a lot of them for what it is worth. he builds a lot of 598 20*.

ep-Duggins has worked as hard as anybody on improving the 20 degree stuff

Posts: 762 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a couple friends running 4.30's at 157ish both with 615's

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 988 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The 615 short deck is Probably PAR’s biggest seller...I like um a little bigger...

Posts: 1257 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How much bigger and why do you like the 20 degree over the 9 degree?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
9 degree is a great motor but you just can’t beat the 20 stuff out there now....if weight wasn’t a issue the 9 would eat the 20 up but it doesn’t not much faster at all an considerably more expensive....but the main reason I would highly recommend the 20 is parts are readily available at the track....nobody has a 9 degree let alone parts....

Posts: 1257 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
But if you went 9 degree I would go the X BLOCK route now it is very impressive

DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I've seen some pretty nice variations of the 20's at Rick's shop. You know what SR stands for. Also RIP Mr Dennis. He was a good guy.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Par 632 SR20
1975 LB Mullis 4 Link 3197 M/T 4:10
4.49 in decent air not great air cecil county
was best
super consistant

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
How much bigger and why do you like the 20 degree over the 9 degree?

Sent u a PM

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If I were doing a 20 degree I would look at Shafiroff’s 20 degree heads. They use standard valve covers and a standard manifold.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Vern, Shafiroff always has the best advertised prices but when you compare apples to apples the real costs of his engines is within a few dollars of his competitors. That said, you don't see many of his engines in use in division 1.

quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Sent u a PM

you got mail

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
622 PAR in a 1800 pound Racetech. For comparison, was dialed .38 the week you were at 42 for the ACE race.

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
9 degree is a great motor but you just can’t beat the 20 stuff out there now....if weight wasn’t a issue the 9 would eat the 20 up but it doesn’t not much faster at all an considerably more expensive....but the main reason I would highly recommend the 20 is parts are readily available at the track....nobody has a 9 degree let alone parts....

The concession for using the 9 degree heads is about 30 lbs. but they are at least 60HP better depending on who's port in the head and whether you run conventional, 20 degree, 9, 11, 12, 14 degree spread ports, you should have spare rockers, pushrods and valve springs.

I'm not familiar with the X block.

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlueTruck:
I've seen some pretty nice variations of the 20's at Rick's shop.

Rick has an 18 degree "conventional" head.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I ran the shyt out of mine at the DRR at HUNTSVILLE....I broke a couple of the offset rockers but only after about 300 runs...other than that no problems...but I did start breaking the shyt out ring an pinions while running it which seemed strange..

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
how big is your 20 degree engine, how much HP doers it make and what ET/MPH does it run at what weight and on what fuel?

As far as I know, KB had the quickest/fastest 20 degree engine in dragster in the country running 6.60s @ 198 and has also ran 190 in Super Comp BUT it is no 615 or even a 632 and his car is very light. I'm told that this engine is now in Cameron Manual's car.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
X14 fuel...1895lb. mine is a 638... been 4.32...making some changes to it now...camshafts have came along way since these heads started out.....an yes Manuel did buy it....KB going back to the popular 615’ as far as I know as of now....he runs the shyt out of stuff like myself...

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
KB as driven my stuff an will pick up .08 min with him...