Find
Notify
Tools

10 years since
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that all Big Grin

What is your typical MPH with the 638 and have you ever run it in the 1/4?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
158-159...an no

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
looks like you'd be 192-193 in the 1/4

My car would be probably 25 lbs. heavier than yours.

thanks for answering my questions.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
For 9* to SR20 comparison, my new 9* Alum 632 went 4.41 @ 157 with a 2.125 bore Book 1250 in my 1920 lb Mullis with Big Bubbas and 4.10 gear at Huntsville in Oct. My friends SR20 615 TNT went 4.48 @ 153 on Q16 and a GetM 2.350 1600 and Little Buubas with 4.10 up here at Sea level.

Both engines are Sunset and his made 1225 with that carb and Q. MY 9* made 1318 with the same GetM and 1280 with my Book. I used the Book last year but he just sent me the 2.350 GetM. The GetM on my engine also made 15 more ft lbs of torque with the bigger carb.

Dyno sheets...

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ed, I was merely talking about the heads from Shafiroff. Dave Slatten is still doing my stuff although I do get some parts from both SDPC and Sunset. Alan from SDPC and Joe from Sunset have both been very accommodating. I don’t hesitate to recommend either of those shops and I have friends that use both of them. Dave is a one man deal now so he is always busy but I have been very pleased with my engine and his advice is invaluable.

I like that the Shafiroff head uses standard valve covers and manifolds. That’s the selling point for me.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Vern, I don't understand how he's using "standard" BBC valve covers on a sr20 head.

Good info Tony, thanks. If I build a 9 degree, the heads and manifold most likely would come from MBE.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Ver, I understand. If I build a 9 degree, the heads and manifold most likely would come from MBE.

Good info Tony, thanks

Your welcome and I run Maximal not Q16. I tried that years ago and almost passed out pouring it in my cell on the Camaro.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yea, I'll never run that stuff, just don't see the need besides the smell. Sunoco Supreme aka Blue or Red aka Maximal is what we run and will continue to run.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ed,

He has a video out about them. Basically he started with a clean sheet of paper. I’ll see if I can find a link. It was on YouTube.

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea, I'll never run that stuff, just don't see the need besides the smell. Sunoco Supreme aka Blue or Red aka Maximal is what we run and will continue to run.

My heads and intake have Sunset's CNC program. I will suggest going all Stainless on the Rockers. They are quite a bit more money but worth it in the long run.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Video is on Facebook. Shafiroff new 20 degree X series cylinder head. Just do a search.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am a small block guy so I am not asking to argue or anything just want to learn and get your opinions. My understanding was they were designed to meet Texas Pro Stock rules and I guess they consider up to 20* standard valve angle?
Are the SR-20 really a game changer?
Os just with in the rules of the Texas Pro Stock deal?
How do they perform compared to the 9* or other heads?
Any valve train problems?
Any other issues with them?
Anything much better about them than others?

They have been out long enough they are not the new trick of the week deal there should be real World results on them and I am curious to know what you think in comparison to others.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
20 degree conventional may soon become old news as there's rumblings about reducing the angle even more up North with even larger power gains. Initial testing shows triple digits better. Stay tuned.

SL...

Posts: 2109 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
20 degree conventional may soon become old news as there's rumblings about reducing the angle even more up North with even larger power gains. Initial testing shows triple digits better. Stay tuned.

SL...

Sounds like another carrot posting like tree sensing devices!!

BTW AFR's version of the SR20's uses 18 degree intake valve angles. Eddy also has their DR17 head which is,,, yup you guessed it 17 degrees. All are so called Conventional BBC heads. Wink

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Ed,

Video is on Facebook. Shafiroff new 20 degree X series cylinder head. Just do a search.

They have advertised that head for quite some time now,,,, but based on what I have heard there are few out there if that many! Why? HMMMM

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I believe the best 20-18-16 degree "conventional" heads come out of Slick Rick's shop but he's impossible to get ahold of.

That said, what I know is the cars running 30s no mind 20s with this head are very light and have far more cubes than 615/632. Carbon everything, lithium battery, titanium headers, yada, yada, yada. The cars are built to run quick and FAST!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:

SL...

Relaxing

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vern, Shafiroff always has the best advertised prices but when you compare apples to apples the real costs of his engines is within a few dollars of his competitors. That said, you don't see many of his engines in use in division 1.

quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Sent u a PM

you got mail

When I hurt my 555CI motor I built and ran for years at the start of the last season. I did what I normally don't like to do and that is buy something already built. I got a 582 shafiroff. Dealing with them on short notice the Monday following the incident, they put me a motor together that was partially complete (on hold from customer effected by COVID) and I picked it up two days later. They were awesome to work with - didn't rake me over the coals knowing I was in a situation. In fact game a price break, I was not expecting.

I dropped the motor in and racing the next weekend - car went 8.9@158MPH at 3350lbs. On a detuned launch. Best it went again on detuned launch was 8.7@159MPH

Two buddies also have their motors and one guy hurt his by his own doing - it ended up needing a piston and rod. When Shafiroff shop looked at it they thought it was something else. He returned back to PA with the motor (keep in mind he made the mistake to hurt the motor). Reinstalled it and week later there was still a problem. He took it back to them and they changed out the rod and piston. Changed him $0 for the fix - again his fault it happened in the first place!

My other buddy has a Sr20 motor - only had it out once at the end of the season in a new car - so no real data. Car went about 20 feet and destroyed the 9inch center that was in the car - no real idea why - but it left HARD! Upgraded everything and we shall see this spring.

Good guys out there and prices are reasonable - easy to work with and hear nothing bad.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1442 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
There are some guys in New Mexico that use them. I don’t know that I’ve heard any complaints.

There are a couple of local guys that some use but except for SDPC every major shop is 500 miles from us.

I’ll continue to use Dave, he has been great for me. I would like to see a set of the Shafiroff X-heads though. I’d really love to do a 615, you know, just so I can throw money away! LOL

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe the best 20-18-16 degree "conventional" heads come out of Slick Rick's shop but he's impossible to get ahold of.

That said, what I know is the cars running 30s no mind 20s with this head are very light and have far more cubes than 615/632. Carbon everything, lithium battery, titanium headers, yada, yada, yada. The cars are built to run quick and FAST!

My dad’s motor is 615 with SR20’s and has been in the 30’s with a 280 plus pound driver, Borla upswepts with mufflers, and standard battery... does have a carbon body and scoop but there’s not that much weight gain there... not sure of exact weight but it’s over 1,800 lbs

PAR power

Posts: 115 | Location: 2008 IHRA SSS No Box WC | Registered: June 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post