DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Racepack dash backlighting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racepack dash backlighting
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Anyone else having multiple backlighting failures on their racepack dash. Lights quit again (3rd time in 5 years). I have to say that racepack did repair on both occasions free of charge but this is getting annoying. Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening? Am I doing something wrong? Racepack had no answers to those questions other than "most of the back lighting failures have been occurring in hot high humid climates, (south FLA). Not sure if I can replace the lights myself, heard they are some special type of lights and have to be installed in a certain way. Might go to analog gauges if need be. Thanks
RW

Posts: 249 | Location: Loxahatchee | Registered: March 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
I assume it's vibration/tire shake ? I just got mine back from Racepak last month for the second time in 3 years myself.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
just got mine back also. first time since 2012.

Posts: 36 | Location: BROKEN ARROW OK | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Must be an emp-tee thing Laughing Hard no issues with my racepak dash, in service since 2013 while rolling on hoosiers.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
guys, its caused by going past the 2nd round. This is due to making more than 3-4 passes in a day. It also makes sense why Mr. Ed Kardashians car hasn't had issues yet.....

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
I think my kid nailed what's causing the problem. While lashing valves, your bumping motor with starter. That display REALLY doesn't like it at all.

Thinking the rapid voltage spikes are killing the bulb.

PS, we have had his fixed 3 times, and its out again. They NEVER did it for free for me.

Trae's car, same thing.

Posts: 313 | Location: west palm beach, fla. usa | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
2x all of the above. No pattern / use/abuse that I can identify. Interesting thought on voltage spikes when bumping.

The Iq3 family does not have this issue .

For those who have replied - what’s the breakdown of 12 vs 16 volt?

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of B-rad2416
posted Hide Post
quote:

12V

Posts: 12 | Location: Loxahatchee, Fl | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ballz:
I think my kid nailed what's causing the problem. While lashing valves, your bumping motor with starter. That display REALLY doesn't like it at all.

Thinking the rapid voltage spikes are killing the bulb.

PS, we have had his fixed 3 times, and its out again. They NEVER did it for free for me.

Trae's car, same thing.

That ain't the issue. My valve lash is checked after every race day. Again, no issues with my Racepak dash, in service since august 2013.

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kelley:

12 volts.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
[[/QUOTE]
That ain't the issue. My valve lash is checked after every race day. Again, no issues with my Racepak dash, in service since august 2013.

Well bless your heart! I didn't ask you,and,you don't know everything, you just think you do.

Posts: 313 | Location: west palm beach, fla. usa | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
know more than you and know that bumping your engine to check your lash ain't the issue! NahNahTounge

FYI, you did ask me. All that are registered here can reply which I did and of course you don't like the truth and the facts!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
again, see above jackwagon

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mine is 16 volt. The bumping thing not an issue with mine as it is wired to come on with the ignition switch. I've wondered about 18.2 volt battery charger and I have ign on checking water temp between rounds.

Posts: 36 | Location: BROKEN ARROW OK | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
12V and once, not free of charge. Mine is an early dash.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Oh, and my dash freaks out when starting on anything more than a full charge.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Customer car here, 16 volt, no backlight when it arrived. He bought the car with the racepak in it a few years ago and said it never worked. Not sure what previous owner did.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SMOORE
posted Hide Post
My iq3 dash has been back 3 time in 3 years for segments burning out racepak has fixed it everytime for free. I asked about voltage they said it could handle 24vdc

AMERICAN RACE CARS
www.americanracecars.net
APD
www.apdracing.com
WOODFORD OIL CO.
www.woodfordoil.com
RENEGADE RACING FUELS
www.renegadepro1.com

Posts: 228 | Location: Flatwoods,ky | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Do other brands have same problems?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOPDRAGSTER:
Mine is 16 volt. The bumping thing not an issue with mine as it is wired to come on with the ignition switch. I've wondered about 18.2 volt battery charger and I have ign on checking water temp between rounds.

Must have an electric temp gauge, wire it through your master disconnect that way you can see the temp as long as you’re main power is on and not your ignition.
BB the way I wire them.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
exactly!