DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Nova door hinge experience
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nova door hinge experience
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
Uppers on both sides are pretty loose. Anybody have opinions, good or bad, on brands. I found some left side OEM's on Ebay for over 300!

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
To loose to put bushings and pins in

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you have access to the equipment make your own.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:

Not sure about the right side but the left side would probably be good with new bushings. A friend of mine just put a Dorman bushing kit in his S10 and said the kit quality wasn't too good. Thanks for the reply.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I put new bushings in my 74 Nova hinge and it was a waist of time.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I got a kit from year 1 I believe. They helped and were not 300 bucks.

But it is still not perfect. The hinges are welded on from the factory I believe starting at the end of 1970, so to truly adjust it you have to grind the welds off.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:

Not sure about the right side but the left side would probably be good with new bushings. A friend of mine just put a Dorman bushing kit in his S10 and said the kit quality wasn't too good. Thanks for the reply.

I got my kit off Amazon for $20. Bushings and pins.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
The pins and bushings you buy from Dorman or from Amazon are junk. This company makes quality bushings I don't know if they make them for a Nova
https://www.cunninghammachine.com/

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I did my Malibu 35 years ago with I think it was the "Help" kits. Could have been Dorman??
Anyway, still perfect after 5 years of daily driver service and the rest as the race car.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Could always buy the cheap kit and have somebody with a lathe duplicate bushings out of steel

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
What year Nova? if 62-67, there is a guy in MD who has a bunch of used but good parts for these years. Scot's 62-27 Nova Parts. you may have to find him on Facebook. I needed parts for my 67 and i bought original hinges like brand new, very reasonable. i tried OER and they were loose within a year.

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I guess you could overfill The pin whole with weld. Then sand down down easily

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Footloose,

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I found some oversized bushings and drilled the holes to accept the bushings.

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
A 70 Nova has bolt on hinges, easy fix. 71-74 are the welded on version, they sux.
Replacing the bushings is easy, just pop the door off and it's a straight up job. You can do it with the door on but it's much tougher to get in there, not worth the hassle. All the kits use the same bushings and pins. If your bushings are gone and the hinge itself is worn, theres a few fixes for this, but that's rare in the bolt on hinges. The toughest part of the job is if your pins were never out before you need to grind off the peened over tabs that keep the pin in. A small belt sander works the best for this if the hinge is still on the car. I highly recommend leaving the hinge bolted to the car, it will make realigning your door a breeze.
You can also replace the lower roller detent if they are bad, easy job as well.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
HS professor…KNOWS, follow his advice exactly.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
71-74 are the welded on version, they sux.

Man, it was tough getting the doors on my 72 to align with the rockers and new quarters. I hope to get my junk out there this year and start racing again.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
A 70 Nova has bolt on hinges, easy fix. 71-74 are the welded on version, they sux.
Replacing the bushings is easy, just pop the door off and it's a straight up job. You can do it with the door on but it's much tougher to get in there, not worth the hassle. All the kits use the same bushings and pins. If your bushings are gone and the hinge itself is worn, theres a few fixes for this, but that's rare in the bolt on hinges. The toughest part of the job is if your pins were never out before you need to grind off the peened over tabs that keep the pin in. A small belt sander works the best for this if the hinge is still on the car. I highly recommend leaving the hinge bolted to the car, it will make realigning your door a breeze.
You can also replace the lower roller detent if they are bad, easy job as well.

Thanks for the advice. Mine is a 70. I watched a guy replace the bushings in a 69 Camaro (link below) by taking the whole hinge off. He didn't mark anything but the car had enough paint around the hinge for him to relocate. It seemed to open and close almost perfectly but maybe there was some editing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4qf_ta2CsU

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ron Gusack,