DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Let's talk about Starting Line Enhancers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk about Starting Line Enhancers
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted
What brand is everyone using? CO2 or compressed air? Why do you like the one you are using? How would you make it better if you could?

Thinking of putting one on my car in the near future. Haven't used one in many, many years. Used to use a Biondo single stage SLE but hated staging at an idle on alcohol. Would like one that gives me a little throttle control (300-400 RPM) while staging. My car has a 4150 carb and fabbed throttle pedal/rod threw the firewall. Not a ton of room but I can make something work.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I use a Biondo air on/air off (CO2) unit. For years I had used a single-stage K+R Pro Stage and it worked great as a SLE, but I wanted a little more control for using it as a throttle stop when SC racing on injection.

I still have the K+R around somewhere, if you're interested. I always set it up so the RPM would go up just a little bit when you put your foot all the way down, which is what I think you're saying you want to do.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I'm wanting the Biondo on/off unit too, I think it will tighten my starting line program up a few thousands, and eliminate the need to *think* on the rare occasion that I get to cross over, an extra .5 or more on the 2-step and I'm red and under the dial.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1601 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Same one I plan to use on my Firebird.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
One thought to consider, it is not necessary to stage at idle. The K & R and others are adjustable in ref to the staging RPM. As you stated, idle is too low [at least for my style] I like going in "hot" [that is to say, faster idle] I like about 1600 RPM in gear staged. This RPM assures full trans pump pressure and instant throttle response.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ed can your be used as a throttle stop as well as a SLE ??

Posts: 10 | Location: NYC | Registered: November 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
"This Throttle Control can either be used as a downtrack throttle stop or a starting line rpm control."

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Two of our cars have air on/off. The third car has air on and so far I think I like the air on better because it doesn't pull your foot to the floor in the toe hook. If you want to use it as a throttle stop as well air on/off is the best option.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
air on and off for me, has always worked great with no failures. Its a older bill mitchell set up, large cylinder, mounted on the pedal

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ActionRacingPhotos:
Two of our cars have air on/off. The third car has air on and so far I think I like the air on better because it doesn't pull your foot to the floor in the toe hook.

That really got my attention the first time I used my 2-way enhancer. With the 1-way, the pedal would kind of go limp and fall to the floor. With the 2-way, I hit the bump-down to activate the SLE and BAM, the pedal was gone!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
The Biondo air on/air off is excellent. You can set whatever RPM you want it to be at mechanically when the pedal drops the same way you would set the cruise RPM for throttle stop racing. Not sure about all of the boxes & controllers (I use it with a Mega 450) but with mine you can hit the bump down and it will drop the pedal prior to bumping in if you prefer to do it that way as well.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
same here

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Great info so far, thanks everyone.

I really don't need a downtrack stop feature, but since I (kinda at this point) plan to run no box and footbrake on occasion, I will need something I can unhook and still have a pedal. Not sure if I will have to unhook the air, electronics or remove the SLE yet. I need to speak with the tech guy at my home track.

The ones I've used in the past, you push the button and it fell to the floor under the weight of my foot. No air, no pedal. I'm not sure I like that.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 734 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:

I really don't need a downtrack stop feature, but since I (kinda at this point) plan to run no box and footbrake on occasion, I will need something I can unhook and still have a pedal. Not sure if I will have to unhook the air, electronics or remove the SLE yet. I need to speak with the tech guy at my home track.

No throttle controls in footbrake / no box / Pro

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1601 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:

No throttle controls in footbrake / no box / Pro

I've seen plenty of cars running with them though. As long as they aren't functional.(lol)

72 Nova "Hooptie"

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Same one I plan to use on my Firebird.

Ed,,

You may want to consider remotely mounting the solenoid to reduce the weight,, dragsters are known to break throttle cables..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TOP38,

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
You may want to consider remotely mounting the solenoid to reduce the weight,, dragsters are know to break throttle cables..

I thought that looked a little funny myself. Makes for a pretty clean install though.

Tony Leonard

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
Ed,,

You may want to consider remotely mounting the solenoid to reduce the weight,, dragsters are known to break throttle cables..

The SLE remains as it was originally installed by Undercover.

Broke the throttle cable back in 2015. Replaced it and installed "the bullet" and no issues yet. Keep a spare throttle cable in the trailer.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I've mounted them at the engine and at the pedal. Cleaner look when it's at the pedal, but harder to get to if you want to make an adjustment............

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Not discussed so far but the fact that your engine comes up on the 2 step at the same time relative to the your tree coming down is money. I still see some racers all over the converter when racing a turd and I just shake my head. I used a Digital delay SLE with a co2 cylinder like Ed's for 2 decades. Just one of many tricks that help you go rounds.
I also had mech injection and like a high idle. Easy to stage with foot brake. See if you can notice what button I pressed to arm it.
https://youtu.be/bNFVLMwH8H8

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post