DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    moroso finned cooler
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

moroso finned cooler
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Wondering if anyone who had tried the Moros finned coolers. You know the 2 finned allumiun pieces connected and you simplt run fluid thru it.

Pretty sure the effectiveness is minor. Not thinking about using for transmission, but have another idea. Just wondering if any here have used and noticed any real temp drop.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4169 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Like this?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-41205

I have ran these and they worked okay. They do have a screen filter inside and I like that. The drawback to this type is they are more of a heat sink and less of a cooler and they are heavier due to extra fluid. If you have good air circulating around it will help. Probably not quite as good as the type with cooling coils and fins and a fan but they do help keep it cool and temperatures not move around as quickly.

On my Altered I went with what I think is the best to get it up to operating temperature and keep it from getting hotter than I want.

I put an inline thermostat on transmission lines before the Deralie cooler. I put a thermostat switch on the fan. This system diverts most of the fluid back to transmission until temperature is 185* or so. Then it runs all of the fluid through the cooler. If it gets hotter than say 200* then fan kicks on.

My thinking there is not only to keep it cool but to keep it in temperature range I want.

You probably do not need all that, just get the good Allison Transmission fluid and run it. That fluid seems to be better at handling heat and then if you have good cooler it will only get better.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3971 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Question. Why temps so high? Not saying wrong but seems high to me. I ordered a 140 fan switch for fed..

Like I said this is not for transmission. First thought was to add similar piece before oberg . Then figure about useless af far as removing any real temp. . Have pretty much decided if the oil is heat soaked I can use a pump to circulate oil thru a cooler or simply pump pan dry and fill with fresh., Simple and quick

Regardless of cooling sytem. Right now I am getting her ready to test new geradrive mag,fuel pump and vacuun pump tri drive I built for it. Who knew one little piece would require so much machine work,fuel system plumbing and ignition rewire. Throw in a new rack and pinion to replace old box with draglink that was just acting stupid with ton of drag and sloppy as cheap hooker on sunday morning.

Posts: 4169 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think 180*-200* is a good working temp and if you are shooting for 140* I think it will be chasing your tail a lot to keep it there.

Sure you could do it but may be a lot of work for little benefit and do not think it would be as consistent.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3971 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
May be correct. I have talked with few folks who all think no such thing as too cool and read few things that pretty much say the same. Also reading thread on fluid and guys running transynd seem to be staying around that area. Guess time will tell. Justy going off info I have been getting.

While I di run PG in Nova and first dragster. That has been a while. Now if a glide clutch like A/fuel csar has I have ten times experiance and lot more recent.LOL