DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Just an Oil Question?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just an Oil Question?
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Schaefer’s has zinc in it still, i have had zero issues with it

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
Schaefer’s has zinc in it still, i have had zero issues with it

I ran the straight 40 mm version for years. Not sure what the additive package is now, but it was the best 10 years ago. it sure has increased in price wow. Guess the word got out.

PS I have a 5 gal pale for sale local pickup only. Cheap

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
I have primarily used synthetic Mobil 1, Lucas & sometimes Valvoline oil; any additives (seldomly used) has been Lucas. I'll stick with proven oils that are used by a good many bracket racers & is readily available. Wink

2BKING Big Grin

You may want to re-read my earlier post... I can't speak for Lucas or Valvoline but Mobil-1 has removed the zinc. That means that someone who drives the same old truck down to the same old Wal-Mart for Mobil-1 for his flat tappet motor just like he always has for 20+ years might not notice that his Mobil-1 bottle now has a little banner that says 'ESP' which stands for 'Emission Systems Protection' which means greatly reduced zinc! Just because someone has always used it without an issue doesn't guarantee he wont have an issue moving forward if he's not paying attention.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Is higher zinc content needed for needle roller bearings in roller lifters used in racing engines?

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Schaeffers Micron Moly Race oil; 30wt or 20/50. Tests I have sent in have shown the best additive packages of any over the last 10-12 years. I ran and tested, Lucas 20/50, Lucas 10/30, Brad Penn 20/50 and Shell Rotella 15-40.
I wrote several tech articles on oil sampling, results, etc.
No matter what oil you use, I recommend sending in Used Oil Samples, I use Schaeffers lab now but have used Blackstone for several years. You can "see" the metals that are wearing, if coolant is starting to show up, other metals are broken down in PPM. For the cost in engines, oil is not a place to cut costs and oil samples are not expensive.
Schaeffer Oil will do free tests if you order over $300.00 in product and they pay the shipping to your shop, at least they do for us and I am not a sponsored car, I buy it all. Rear end lube, diesel oil for the coach, wheel bearing grease and the best cleaner I have found, Citrol.

Should mention, 800+ runs on our Ohio Crank 565" in the dragster, only thing replaced were valve springs and an intake gasket this winter. My 406 has 375 runs and it needed head gasket but oil samples were telling me it's Good to Go. Shooting for 800+ runs with the 406 in the S10.
Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
I have primarily used synthetic Mobil 1, Lucas & sometimes Valvoline oil; any additives (seldomly used) has been Lucas. I'll stick with proven oils that are used by a good many bracket racers & is readily available. Wink

2BKING Big Grin

You may want to re-read my earlier post... I can't speak for Lucas or Valvoline but Mobil-1 has removed the zinc. That means that someone who drives the same old truck down to the same old Wal-Mart for Mobil-1 for his flat tappet motor just like he always has for 20+ years might not notice that his Mobil-1 bottle now has a little banner that says 'ESP' which stands for 'Emission Systems Protection' which means greatly reduced zinc! Just because someone has always used it without an issue doesn't guarantee he wont have an issue moving forward if he's not paying attention.

I understand the decline in zinc with Mobil 1 & probably others; don't care. I've run roller lifters for 20+ years. Smile

2BKING thanks you for looking out for me. Wink

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Is higher zinc content needed for needle roller bearings in roller lifters used in racing engines?

Yes Sir, it is.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4018 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

No Sir, it is not.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:

From what I understand, no... the fact that most modern motors have roller lifters is what allows the manufacturers to pull the catalytic converter harming zinc from the oil with no ill effects. The problem seems to be with flat tappet lifters that don't rotate in their bores as designed which leads to wiping out the lifter & the lobe. I do not pretend to know the scientific reasons or voodoo behind this, but I am a drag racer, I work in an exotic car dealership & I have a '64 Corvette (with a flat-tappet hydraulic cam) so I am just someone who deals with oil everyday and pays attention to several different automotive circles!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post