DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    T400 Heli-coil or Timesert
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T400 Heli-coil or Timesert
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
A couple pan bolt threads are little weak on my 400. Should I Heli-coil with red Loctite or try not to cut threads all the way through so it bottoms out or use Timeserts? I have experience with Helicoil and none with Timesert.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Timeserts require a bigger hole to be drilled. If you have the meat there to do it it is a stronger repair. For a pan bolt a heli coil would work just fine.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Heli coil for a pan bolt. After installing the helicoil loc tite a stud in place instead of just using a bolt.

Timeserts are great, but not necessary for a pan bolt. Probably not enough room/meat around the hole anyway.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I had one strip on my TH400, and it was in a place where I could simply use a longer bolt, and put a nylon lock nut on the other end of it where it protruded through the case. Kinda rednecky, but since it was only one, that solution was easy enough, and nobody ever sees it but me.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post