DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Static transmission fluid level
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Static transmission fluid level
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of bobalbertyjr
posted
Seems like a while back I saw a post about a static transmission fluid fill being at .
Reason I'm asking is maybe I'm overfilling mine. I had a BTE Chevy case with their dipstick. I swapped to a J W case and bell (went Chrysler) but retained the dipstick. The starting line crew told my guys the car dripped on their starting line. The pan rail was wet, but no drips.

Posts: 36 | Location: Broken Arrow Oklahoma | Registered: July 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I remember Hutch saying once over on YB that the hot level while running should be even with the bottom screw on the servo cover. Thats pretty much where the full mark is on my dipstick.
You would have to pull your pan off to verify on your dipstick

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this will help, but on initial fill, I'll put as much in the converter as it will hold, then 4 in the pan and start the car. I'll continue to fill until it's at the full mark. Once it's there, I shut it off and let it sit. Then I go back later and recheck the level with the car off to see where it's at and that's how I check it going forward. My dipstick is a Moroso that's a cable with the little deal on the end for the level, but my level now is about 2" above the full mark if I remember right....My stuff holds about 9 quarts before I put the cool can on....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Check in Park or Neutral running.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Does the required level change with a deep pan and a filter extension?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Does the required level change with a deep pan and a filter extension?

No sir.

Check in Park or Neutral, engine running.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is the pickup ya want. Another thing people overlook is the vent. You want a liberal vent.

If you pay close attention to all the small stuff, it adds up to a lot.

I can guarantee you won't find another all steel Nova W/ triple chrome plated steel bumpers, factory glass and an N/A 23 sbc with out of the box Brodix T1's 3250 lbs on a 10 x 28 bias tire with a 2 speed powerglide that goes 1.27 60ft, and dips in the 5's N/A.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Check your fluid cold and then make a couple of passes and check it, on newer vehicles they actually have a cold level and a hot level.

Posts: 1456 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
I can guarantee you won't find another all steel Nova W/ triple chrome plated steel bumpers, factory glass and an N/A 23 sbc with out of the box Brodix T1's 3250 lbs on a 10 x 28 bias tire with a 2 speed powerglide that goes 1.27 60ft, and dips in the 5's N/A.

Guess we have to take your word on it but I can guarantee you there is a green ‘69 Camaro in Jersey that is all that too that 60 foots 1.27 off the footbrake but first did it over a decade ago.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Guess we have to take your word on it but I can guarantee you there is a green ‘69 Camaro in Jersey that is all that too that 60 foots 1.27 off the footbrake but first did it over a decade ago.

And I bet he never hit any cones doing it Laughing Hard

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:

You have that backwards, It's your word we'd have to trust. I have the time slip and you're talking about a car from 10 years ago with photo of it with a 10.60 dial on the window, as your evidence LoL.

There's stockers out there with three speeds, high numerical starting line ratio's, steam roller tires and wheelies bars that'll hang with mine 60 ft, but you won't find one with a 2 speed powerglide on a 10 x 28 60 ft like this Nova N/A 23 sbc, dipping in the 5's. Especially someone building their own engines and transmissions like I do. Ain't gonna happen.

60ft is the hard part. Anyone can order power out of a catalog.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mikey, no one cares about your junk, least of which me. The truth is it’s no big deal to card a 1.27 60 foot with that car with that pile of parts but it is special doing it off the footbrake. Razz FYI, the dial on that Camaro in the photo I posted was 10.0x and the car is still bracket racing every weekend in NJ. It’s won a lot of money, races and championships over the 3 decades it’s been run including the ROC at the bracket finals.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Nobody cares about what you're doing either, especially me. Mostly because you're not doing anything out of the ordinary.

1.27 60 ft all steel 23 sbc N/A, is out of the ordinary. Do ya know how to know? > Nobody else is doing it 2 speed on a 10 x 28 bias tire. Smile

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The cool thing about working with the parts in play is there's nobody to call for a baseline on shock settings, and there's 80 something clicks on rebound and 70 something on compression.

Can't F'n wait to get these on a 275 radial tire on our 66 Chevy II DXP Steet car with some power. Now that is gonna be entertaining.

Can't wait.

Ya, we run junk, it's how we do it, spragless converters too. Junk and don't know what we're doing to boot. How everyone who runs exceptional does it. Clueless and junk parts. Smile

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
man hope everyone's Johnson feel bigger now.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Alright so we have the oil level

Filter type

A liberal vent

Another, Transynd oil is excellent.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
1.27 60 ft all steel 23 sbc N/A, is out of the ordinary. Do ya know how to know? > Nobody else is doing it 2 speed on a 10 x 28 bias tire. Smile

your delusional but we all knew that already with your cone debacle. Laughing very hard

as to the dispitick...with an OEM dipstick fill to the add 1 pint dot and with an aftermarket stick fill to the lower line of HOT

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

There was no debacle.

This was the original call, Nova is the winner.

It's Self Evident who the winner is.

45 minutes later they put Seigel back in the race, in the final round after he's already loaded up.

Two years later track officials refuse to repeat the explanation they gave for putting siegel back in the race.

You can't evidence anything you say. Let everyone know when you find a all steel Nova sbc goes 1.27 60 ft.

Bring some evidence with ya, your word is no good.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alright so we have the oil level

Filter type

A liberal vent

Another, Transynd oil is excellent.

A liberal vent? Heck no, I want one that works ! Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well played sir!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post