DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fiberglass front bumper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiberglass front bumper
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of 71 Chevelle
posted
Whats best way to install glass front bumper on 71 Chevelle? Are guys reusing stock bolts with nylon lock nuts? Hidden fasteners? I know it doesn’t need much due to possible over tightening and or cracking the bumper. Looking for ideas.

Joe McBride

Posts: 5 | Location: Wilm., DE | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
On my old Nova, that's what I did. I used the stock bolts and just lightly snugged them and used loctite to hold them. Worked good. I didn't use all the bracketry though, just enough to keep the bumper in place and not flop around...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of MM Racing
posted Hide Post
I did the same on my '71 El Camino. If I remember right (been 10 years ago) I used 4 stock bolts and no brackets. It did vibrate some but not enough to damage the fiberglass bumper.

-Phil Watkins
Midnight Machine Racing

Posts: 133 | Location: Arizona | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I too have a 71 Chevelle with a fiberglass front bumper.
I used stock hardware and brackets. I did take a hole saw to the brackets to lighten them up some.

Word of advice, don't get rid of the steel bumper. I'm sorry I did.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post