DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Brake line flaring tool recommendation please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brake line flaring tool recommendation please
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, does anyone suggest a brake line flaring tool set that they particularly endorse?

I'm making a foray into flaring my own brake lines, as I may be installing a Mopar master cylinder in my S-10 race truck, and those MCs seem to have some uncommon port threads.
Unless there's a source for pre-made brake lines that will bolt right up, or adapters.

Thank you much!
Troy

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Eastwood or K-Tool...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rigid flare tool for doing a bunch of ss lines for NOS,best 100 bucks spent tool wise.Got it thru home depot,had to order it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4180 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Matco # FT93FBB.

No issues and I do a lot of stainless.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
I've had a Blue Point for over 30 years...

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
First be sure you buy a double flaring tool. I've had the same old Bluepoint flare tool forever, always worked fine. I'd say it's an Imperial or something similar with the BP name on it.
Adapters are available so you could just use the pre-made line as you buy it.
If you look at my post on your last thread the link gives you the MC part#s and tells about the adapters.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had really good luck with the Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool and stainless lines. Yes, it's expensive for something you don't use very often, but the results have been great.

Posts: 24 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I went to Advance Auto and rented a Double Flair and a Bubble Flair tool kit. Had them for 2 weeks, returned for full refund and worked great. Cost $0.00

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Spend the money and get the Rigid tool. I have two. One for the 45* double flare and one for 37*.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
Ridgid 33927 - Double Flaring Tool with No. 150 Tubing Cutter & Case Kit

I have bought just about every kind for at the college...This is about the most solid one you can find.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Probably more than you really want but love this deal. But it does a lot more than brake lines. But I was in the auto business for a long time and it is a handy tool

https://www.amazon.com/MASTERC...draulic+flaring+tool

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 987 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
People have been flaring brake lines by hand for years and yes it works, but once you go hydraulic, you'll never go back Not worthy

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I went to Advance Auto and rented a Double Flair and a Bubble Flair tool kit. Had them for 2 weeks, returned for full refund and worked great. Cost $0.00

^^^^^^ This. Did many years ago without issue and as mark says - $0.00

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1436 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Mastercool is the best I've found for stainless. I have 45 and 37 degree dies and can double flare stainless in any size.

I have a Rigid. Pretty nice, but does not work well for stainless. Almost any decent double flair tool works for mild steel lines.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Eastwood 25304 Smile

Posts: 411 | Location: Highland,Ca | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great recommendations, guys.
I wound up borrowing a kit from O'Reilly's and made a pretty good flare with that.

When I buy my own though I'll probably invest in one of the better ones like Rigid or Eastwood.
Cheers,
T.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post