DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Cranking compression loss when hot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cranking compression loss when hot
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SonnyJames
posted
New engine 15-1 pumps 180 when 200 water temp/180 oil temp. Pumps 225 when 140 water 140 oil. Hr run time with 6 pulls on transbrake. Block filled to bottom of water pump holes. 355 sbc. Honed with plates. Thoughts?

Posts: 680 | Location: Consistently researching inconsistencies | Registered: September 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
may not be broke in yet,it has been common for my stuff to loose numbers when hot,if memmory serves around 20

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'd do a leak down test cold and hot and try to figure out where you're loosing (leaking) cylinder pressure......
Usually when it's heat related it's the cylinder walls moving/going out of round.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^. My bbc stocker bores always move with block fill even with heat cycles. Re honed with plates and it was fine. Loss was 8-10%. Not round.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Perhaps some of it is just physics. The air in the cylinders wil certainly be hotter with an engine at full temp. Hot air much less dense, mechanically compress less dense air and you get a lower psi.

Posts: 35 | Location: new jersey | Registered: January 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SonnyJames
posted Hide Post
^^^^ hmmmm

Posts: 680 | Location: Consistently researching inconsistencies | Registered: September 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post