DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Gasoline Dually powertrains **UPDATED**
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gasoline Dually powertrains **UPDATED**
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The engine in my 2005 was shot before that. The LLY has a long history of problems.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The newer gas motors are better from what I know

Both the Ford and GM 6.6 and 6.7 I think it is are very strong from what I'm told and have experienced

All the newer class C motorhomes are Fords with that 6.7 I think it is V8

They sound great and are very torquey.....I have done Onan generator work in a number of them and go for a ride once in a while to see how they feel compared to my old V10 that I had.

2 Co-workers have a couple newer trucks...both a Ford and a GM and say the are real good and get good mileage

My Duramax is an LBZ and has been basically trouble free....hope I don't jinx myself !!

I'd keep it now till it pukes or falls apart....It's been an excellent truck and hard to beat.....

Rust is the only issue but it's not the trucks fault.......Northeast road salt in winter is a killer.....hate that damn Brine solution and don't ever get it in your eyes even after it's dry and your under there working on something !!! Been there, done that and a trip to urgent care to prove it.....Damn that s-h-i-t hurt ! My eye was a mess for 24 hours....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by SpeierRacingHeads:
I can tell you that the Duramax/Allison will hold some value. I just bought a 2005 Dulley with 209K on it with a new LBZ with 600 miles on it. I didn't want that many miles but I know the history and who bought it new (Stinnett). It's super clean

209k on a diesel and the engine is shot?? How long/ weight trailer are you planning on pulling??

Late last year the Wudorzyk's were coming home from Texas and it started blowing black smoke. Something happened to a piston. So they bought a new truck and instead of patching it up, put a new engine in the truck to sell. I bought a 48' LQ trailer.

Also, it's a 2006.

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
The 6l90 is NOT a reliable transmission for what you are wanting to do. The converters start eating up 50-60k miles. If you do go that route, have the transmission serviced AT a GM dealer every 50,000 miles. We have rebuilt 150 6l80/6l90s this year alone, every single one of them starts with the converter ****ting the bed. Most of the time we are rebuilding those transmissions between 100-130k miles.

Yep.Mine just went out at 90,000.Converter.
Interesting how all my GM trucks had a 100,000 power train warranty.But when I bought this 2018,it dropped to a 60,000 warranty.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rust is the only issue but it's not the trucks fault.......Northeast road salt in winter is a killer.....hate that damn Brine solution

Exactly why I have not gone with any diesel. If you drive them in the winter in Illinois, the body falls off of them regardless of how often you wash them. So much for the durability of that investment and it paying you back over time. IMO if you want to buy a diesel because it pulls a trailer better, do it, and it will. But don't try to sell me on the financial benefits of it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
The 6l90 is NOT a reliable transmission for what you are wanting to do. The converters start eating up 50-60k miles. If you do go that route, have the transmission serviced AT a GM dealer every 50,000 miles. We have rebuilt 150 6l80/6l90s this year alone, every single one of them starts with the converter ****ting the bed. Most of the time we are rebuilding those transmissions between 100-130k miles.

Yep.Mine just went out at 90,000.Converter.
Interesting how all my GM trucks had a 100,000 power train warranty.But when I bought this 2018,it dropped to a 60,000 warranty.

What is the secret to keeping the 6l80e trans together? We removed the lockup in early gears for the sake of the converter. I don't know if there is such a thing as bulletproof anything. But if we can give it a better chance....

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Okay, update today....got a different message on my status check. July 12 was the 2022 cut off date, and my dealer did reorder as a 2023 yesterday, but something was in question.
It turns out that by manipulating my options, I have an August 8 build date now.
I got rid of a driver assist package that I didn't want anyway by dropping the navigation B.S. and got everything else as ordered.
We shall see.
Disappointed that my salesman or someone didn't call me when the status changed, but oh well.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1621 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
then you got the only deal in the country because I know people that have order trucks in NJ, NY and PA and the dealers wouldn't/won't give them the price until the truck came in/comes in. I know people that have paid between $10-$30k over window for GM trucks and Cadillac Escalades.

My dealer encouraged me to flip this one and make some money on it and order a new one but I’m not interested in it at this point. My price was set on the website when i ordered if, then was able to get 3500 off of that

I mostly did this new truck only because of the good money I got for my 2013 f350…

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Today's update:
quote:
Your vehicle order has been accepted by General Motors and is moving toward the production process.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1621 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Truck got built yesterday, now we'll see how long it takes to find it's way here, and whether we'll be able to come to a price agreement.
Was told there is no customer pickup available at the Flint plant.

Getting close to having an '87 Dually for sale. Big Grin

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
You’re doing better than us.

Ford Maverick ordered 8/8/21. Scheduled to hit the production line on 10/31/22. 15 months! Expected delivery to the dealer in Horsham PA is 12/4/22

We are paying 4% below invoice for the little mini truck by ordering from a dealer several states away.

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Truck got built yesterday, now we'll see how long it takes to find it's way here, and whether we'll be able to come to a price agreement.

meanwhile...

quote:
Originally posted April 13, 2022 04:45 PM by 1320racer:
wait to they tell you how much you're going to pay for it. Laughing very hard

quote:
Originally posted April 13, 2022 07:37 PM by Goob:
I've got my number, not skeered.
I want the truck, but I don't need the truck.

quote:
Originally posted April 14, 2022 09:33 AM by Goob:
The first dealer I went to said it would be $5K over sticker, and I said not for me, walked into my little rural dealer and got no such bull, made the order.

quote:
Originally posted April 14, 2022 02:11 PM by Goob:

I see the price has increased about $1600 since I ordered.

quote:
Originally posted July 13, 2022 07:49 AM by 1320racer:
this dumbass not only ordered a gas dually but really believes he's going to buy it for less than window sticker

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was told there is no customer pickup available at the Flint plant.

Getting close to having an '87 Dually for sale. Big Grin

Good for you, hope it works out!

My sister & brother-in-law was just notified their truck was built a couple weeks ago, but don't know when they can pick-up at the dealer. They're in MI and was told the same about plant pick-up.

We are hoping to find a new 3500 on the lot somewhere, we have a low mileage Dodge dually to use for now.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2514 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I've seen several on local Chevrolet lots over the last 3-4 weeks, don't know if they're spoken for and on temporary display, or what, though.

You could contact Ryan at Sam Peirce Chevrolet for a square story, and maybe a nice truck.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, Classic Chevrolet here in the DFW area claim to be the #1 Chevy dealer in the U.S. for 2 years in a row.
They have a policy to never charge more than MSRP on any vehicle. No idea what their HD truck inventory looks like, but it is a huge dealership.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1033 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
It's on a truck, after sitting on a lot in Flint since September 15th....
Hope bums haven't been living in it..... Roll Eyes
I may see it tomorrow, then the fun will begin.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hope you get it soon!

We got lucky with our 2023 High Country 3500 HD Duramax Dually. Found it on Sat. night online in Vegas. Went Sun. to look at it; dealerships closed. Showed up Mon. at opening put $10K down cash, they delivered it Fri. & I paid the remainder in cash.

Again....got lucky, the boss lady & I didn't F... around getting it!

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2514 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

Hope you get it soon!

We got lucky with our 2023 High Country 3500 HD Duramax Dually. Found it on Sat. night online in Vegas. Went Sun. to look at it; dealerships closed. Showed up Mon. at opening put $10K down cash, they delivered it Fri. & I paid the remainder in cash.

Again....got lucky, the boss lady & I didn't F... around getting it!

Really nice truck to.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
this dumbass not only ordered a gas dually but really believes he's going to buy it for less than window sticker IF they build it at all which is highly unlikely with THOUSANDS of Duramax diesel duallies on order! Laughing very hard

Well dumbass , you're Wrong again.

As usual. Roll Eyes

In my driveway, hooked up to go racing in the morning, for $6766.00 LESS THAN STICKER . (with a FULL tank of fuel)

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
To others interested, it's an awesome piece, can't wait to put some miles on it tomorrow...full tow report forthcoming.

The dealer was awesome, no issues with them.

Dave Cook
N375