DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Terminator vs Tunnel ram (alcohol)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminator vs Tunnel ram (alcohol)
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I was told a tunnelram would pick up the most on top end but when I switched I picked up the most on the front half of the track. Just my experience.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I had a 572 Mopar with 440-1 heads with alky tunnel ram in my 1950 lb dragster and it ran 7.70s but usually 7.80s at 3000'. Switched to a single Terminator on the Indy intake and it was impressive. Ran 7.35 best and would run 7.40s all day just about anywhere. Nothing special but the Terminator seems to make the converter looser and happier and we had to put a "pinch valve" on it at 5-seconds. It went dead fat due to pressure about then. We used Data Logger to find it and it was 3 mph and consistent after we did that.
James Monroe walked us through it and it was nasty good.

Good luck.
Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1216 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
Seems like a no-brainer to go for the injection on my 4bbl intake.

Jok, did you have any dyno numbers on that 572?

Mine should weigh in around 1800 with me in it, was 1925 with a steel BBM. This is an aluminum Indy, supposedly 125 lbs lighter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom H,

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I can't find the sheet but it had "dump truck" like torque at 5000, I remember the dyno guy making jokes about the low end torque being better than my Cummins ;-)
The peak HP was 1090 if I remember right but it was about 7400 and we shifted at 7000 and it was a VERY HAPPY combination.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1216 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I had two 850 alcohol converted carbs on my tunnel ram. Switched to dual 4.1" toilets and never looked back. Love injection.

A tunnel ram flattens out the torque curve compared to a single plane. Gives more area under the curve.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1349 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine should weigh in around 1800 with me in it, was 1925 with a steel BBM. This is an aluminum Indy, supposedly 125 lbs lighter.

Just by converting from gas to alky, doesn't necessarily guarantee gains. In many cases engines with smaller, rather than larger chambers actually lose hp. Engines with cylinder pressures that are in the sweet spot, or on the high side do not necessarily make gains either when converting. The opposite also holds true, as in large chambers, large volume cylinder head intake runners and low cylinder pressures, do take advantage during a conversion.

To answer your question, is, if the cylinder heads allow the pump to take advantage in a positive way, then the increased volume from the tunnel ram and two throttle bodies (injection) would be better, but I don't believe your heads are capable of taking advantage of the larger volume, so therefore a single cast manifold with one throttle body would be more then enough. If per chance the heads did support big air flow figures, then your projected hp numbers would be significantly greater at that cubic inch. You'd be over 1100hp.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strange Magic,

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
To be clear, I've been running a single Alcohol carb for several years, not at all interested in what gas would do for this.

I have a 520 mopar that comes in right at 800hp with a solid cam and 1050 dominator. Could have used more carb on that set up.

The 540 will use the same heads and intake with a bigger roller cam. The simple thing to do would be to get a bigger carb, I have heard from more than one person, with the tunnel ram and 2 dominators, i would gain from 50 to 100 horse over the single 4bbl. If that's true, and the Terminator can do the same job on the single intake then that's the direction i am going.

That's where my 900-950hp guess is coming from.

Heads flow 378 intake , 214 exhaust @ .700

Have another set of heads that have much better exhaust numbers, but only 356 for intake.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
IMO, 50-100 hp increase with any induction combo is optimistic. Unless that carb you are using is just way too small.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I agree, time will tell if we are both right or wrong. What I have gotten out of this post is the Terminator will be the best choice to prove it out.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
injection regardless of type is way simpler than a carb. Less pieces means less to have issue IMO. First injection I ran was 1987 and I cut carbs out of my life ever since. Will not run one myself

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4162 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i think 8% is a good number for hp increase over carb

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post