DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Terminator vs Tunnel ram (alcohol)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminator vs Tunnel ram (alcohol)
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted
How will a 2100 Terminator on a single plane compare to (2) 1050's on a Tunnel ram?

Looks like it will cost me about the same. Looking for horsepower numbers.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Tunnel ram and don't look back.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
I should have said, (2) 1050 carbs to be clear

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Have you bought anything yet?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
I have the tunnel ram and one Carb, would need a matching carb, linkage, scoop mount and scoop tray to finish that. I have talked to Ron's and it would cost a little more to go with injection, but it would bolt up to what i have, i think. I am a carb guy and know very little about injection, but how hard could it be?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Reason I asked is I have a good friend with a matching pair of DC alky carbs. They were on a blower so I’m not sure how they would be on a NA setup.

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I liked my injection but I’m back to a gas carb for Stupid/Comp.

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
I have decided to sale my Holley tunnel ram with twin 1050 terminators, B valve, pump and nozzle assortment BBC.
Any idea on the value?
0 1/2 pump may need a seal as it has been on the shelf for a few years.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I am gonna guess that you will have to have carb you have changed to be run as a pair on tunnelram

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I really liked two toilets on a tunnel ram on my small block. Improved the consistency in my case.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I have same engine, built by Oakley as a couple other guys and I run the same, and im about 20 - 30 lbs heavier, and I have a terminator and they have profiler tunnel ram and 2 APDs on alky.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 703 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom H:
How will a 2100 Terminator on a single plane compare to (2) 1050's on a Tunnel ram?

Looks like it will cost me about the same. Looking for horsepower numbers.

Are you talking alky to alky or alky to gas? And what size motor making how much power?

If your alky carbs to injection then the injection is likely to be a good deal faster especially if you have a good motor making good HP. Tunnel ram or NOT!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
Alky only, this is a BBM 540 should be 900-950 hp. If the terminator can equal or better the carbs, which based on 329L's comments it would, then I will likely go to injection. I know for sure, my one 1050 won't feed it.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alky only, this is a BBM 540 should be 900-950 hp. If the terminator can equal or better the carbs, which based on 329L's comments it would, then I will likely go to injection. I know for sure, my one 1050 won't feed it.

In the 1000HP range, alky carb, gas carb and alky injection on the dyno, alky injection made the most and the alky carb made the least.

I had a 565 that made in the 1025 range and it was close to a tenth slower with a gas carb vs the alky injection. I don't see two carbs and a tunnel ram beating the injection on a cast intake unless the intake is a POS.

As for injection, it is very easy to learn and tune. Talk to James Monroe!!!! I'd also recommend the primer plus deal.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I love my Terminator, Tom. I always wanted to go twin Terminators but like you said, the linkage, scoop tray/mount, everything becomes custom.

I ran it for many years on a tunnel ram intake with single top.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

In the 1000HP range, alky carb, gas carb and alky injection on the dyno, alky injection made the most and the alky carb made the least.

I had a 565 that made in the 1025 range and it was close to a tenth slower with a gas carb vs the alky injection. I don't see two carbs and a tunnel ram beating the injection on a cast intake unless the intake is a POS.

As for injection, it is very easy to learn and tune. Talk to James Monroe!!!! I'd also recommend the primer plus deal.

The injection WILL out perform any alky single, seems to run pretty close to a good gas carb on q in MOST of the season, and appears to be a tick quicker than a tunnel ram and 2 GOOD alky carbs.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 703 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ran it for many years on a tunnel ram intake with single top

The next question should be is it worth putting a single top on the tunnel ram vs a very good single 4 intake?

For what injection is doing the added length is not needed or would it help? Both intakes are Indy and the Injection is roughly at the same location on each manifold.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The next question should be is it worth putting a single top on the tunnel ram vs a very good single 4 intake?

For what injection is doing the added length is not needed or would it help? Both intakes are Indy and the Injection is roughly at the same location on each manifold.

I've always been of the opinion that the intake manifold is less critical on an injected engine since it is mostly flowing dry air through it. Not to say that the flow of that air is not important.

When Gary L was assembling my 632, he thought I should have stuck with the t-ram intake rather than putting the SV632 on it. I didn't try it both ways, so can't answer which may be better.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
quote:

I've always been of the opinion that the intake manifold is less critical on an injected engine since it is mostly flowing dry air through it. Not to say that the flow of that air is not important.

Not true about dry air flow! You just think it is because on the injector locations!

Tunnel rams provide less air flow restriction so they can develop more HP based on just air flow if the rest of the combo can use it. Also if designed to match the combo, you can optimize the runner lengths for all cylinders which would tend to raise the peak torque and power curves but narrow the rpm range vs a single plane that has two or 3 runner lengths which would tend to lower but broaden the power curve. So a heavy two speed car may go faster with the single cast intake...

The bottom line here is the entire combo is what is important. Match all the parts your using and you will have a happy motor doing what's expected.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you are staying on alky then I would stay with injection. Ran a terminator with primer plus system for years with no complaints. Had the entire setup done by James Monroe who most would agree is a great guy

Recently switched to gas and I am happy with the switch... but the alky injection when setup right runs very well

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post